Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My husband just had a piercing eye stabbing pain on his left

eye for around 15 seconds...
My husband just had a piercing eye stabbing pain on his left eye for around 15 seconds and then it went away. What could this be from? He is 68 years old.
6/6/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. How long has this been happening, or did it only happen just once?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Hello. He said he has had it several times

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

He also has dry and itchy eyes sometimes too

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

I had to put some eye wash in them last night and it felt better, but this morning he had to stop and close his eye until the pain stopped

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

He has had this for several years

Doctor DanB : If this was a one time experience, then this is most likely due to a dry eye, also called a dysfunctional tear film. It is very common to have and usually responds to the use of artificial tears 3-4x/day for several days. Even if it has been recurring, a dysfunctional tear film is still the most likely suspect. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

What does he do for this?

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

Would this cause the stabbing pain?

JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

The pain was really severe

Doctor DanB : Yes, this could definitely cause the stabbing. It can be quite severe and quite painful. I would recommend he use cool compresses, artificial tears in the eyes 3-4x/day and either Tylenol or ibuprofen. But the used the artificial tears for several days is probably the most important to help prevent that from returning. Does that make sense?
JACUSTOMER-x17ixlld- :

yes thank you.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.