Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is there treatment for advanced wet macular degeneration

Is there treatment for advanced wet macular degeneration with large fibrovascular subfoveal scar?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

While there is treatment for wet macular degeneration (intraocular injections of either Avastin, Lucentis or afibercept) I am very sorry to say that once a subfoveal retinal scar has formed, with attendant destruction of the retina anatomy and photoreceptors, there is nothing that can be done to restore central vision.

Dr. Rick :

If there is a "good" side to this issue it is that this type of retinal pathology will NOT cause total, "lights out" blindness in her eye. Your mothers peripheral vision will not be impaired by this condition.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.