Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is the medical standard for determination of whether

Customer Question

What is the medical standard for determination of whether Lasik can be used for a patient?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what you mean by a medical standard. There is nothing that is written in stone that makes a particular patient a good candidate for lasik, or any other elective surgery for that matter.

Dr. Rick :

That being said it is important that your refraction be stable.

Customer:

If I went to a Lasik opthamologist, he would need to make a determination if Lasik was possible. What protocol would he follow?

Dr. Rick :

That your cornea be free from any pathology such as keratoconus, areas of thinning, significant scar formation and be thick enough to allow the correct amount of tissue to be removed by the laser while leaving a safe amount of residual corneal stroma behind.

Customer:

What about a slight cataract in one eye?

Dr. Rick :

He would do a complete examination, check your refraction and refraction history, measure the thickness of your cornea and do corneal topography. He will also talk with you to make sure your goals for what the surgery has to offer you are realistic and that you fully understand all the risks.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question.

Customer:

The answer is nebulous but I will Dogpile that one myself.

Dr. Rick :

A non visually significant cataract is not a problem as long as it has not affected your refraction much.

Dr. Rick :

???????

Customer:

OK! I am satisfied, thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.