Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a retinal vein occlusion 2 years ago. I have had

Customer Question
I had a retinal vein...
I had a retinal vein occlusion 2 years ago. I have had multiple injections of avastin to help reabsorb the blood in the vitreous. My retinal specialist cannot see the retina because of all the blood. There has been no growth of blood vessels in the front of the eye. He has also used a laser to stop bleeding in the retinal area and has destroyed some of the retinal cells that had no nurishment during this time. He now wants to perform a pars plana vitrectomy to remove the blood. My question is, should saline or silicone be used to replace the vitreous? Also, can the dead cells in the retina be removed and is there any chance that they will regenerate? I had good peripheral vision up to 1 year ago when the blood filled the eye. Will the peripheral vision return and will blood continue to fill the eye?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
6/4/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

hello.

Customer:

greetings

Dr. James :

is surgery already scheduled?

Customer:

Yew. for lateSept.

Customer:

Dr??

Dr. James :

Do you have a retinal detachment as well?

Customer:

I do not.

Dr. James :

my computer is running out of battery and I may lose power shortly.

Dr. James :

if I get disconnected, then i will resume later tonight.

Customer:

When can we continue?

Dr. James :

In general, silicone oil is used for people who have a high risk of retinal detachment after surgery.

Dr. James :

that doesn't appear to be an issue in your case.

Customer:

gook

Dr. James :

I suspect that your doctor will use saline or possibility an air bubble, which is replaced by fluid over a months' time as you heal.

Dr. James :

regarding the vision potential, that is difficult to say.

Customer:

Won't saline allow more blood to accumulate, while silicone will not?

Dr. James :

no

Dr. James :

it is the persistent blood that is problematic, not the continued bleeding.

Customer:

ok

Dr. James :

the surgery clears the blood faster, than your eye can do it itself.

Dr. James :

silicone oil is unlikely to be used in your case. obviously, you should confirm with your surgeon.

Dr. James :

regarding regeneration of the retina, that does not happen.

Dr. James :

if the retina is damaged, then it is damaged.

Dr. James :

sometimes, the retina only has minor damage, but the overlying blood impedes the vision. in which case, clearing the blood will help.

Dr. James :

do you have any other questions i can help you with?

Customer:

one more

Customer:

Before the eye filled with blood, the doctor was able to take a picture of the retina to see if swelling took place. He has not been able to do this recently. I also had pellets of a steroid placed in the eye to minimize swelling. Will these pictures be able to be taken again, and how much value do they have?

Dr. James :

once the blood is cleared with surgery, then the it will be easier to examine the retina and check if there is swelling and check if the lasers and/or steroid injections are working.

Customer:

Also, will surgery on this eye have any effect on the vision in the other eye?

Dr. James :

no

Customer:

Thank you for your time. I am satisfied.

Dr. James :

You are welcome.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James