Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My wife has severe pain in behind her left eye, this pain

has been going on for...
my wife has severe pain in behind her left eye, this pain has been going on for the last 3 days. Today she saw an opthamologist and while she was there he pressed on the left eye and now she has lost the top right part of her vision. He suggested for her to take migraine medicine which she did. This did absolutely no good. What can we do now
6/1/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. So she had not lost vision until after she left the ophthalmologist's office?
Customer: Thats correct, prior to going she described a hair like appearance in her field of vision
Doctor DanB : Has she had any weakness/numbness in any part of her body, eye pain with moving the eyes, or bowel or bladder incontinence?
Customer: She just had gastric sleeve surgery 2 weeks ago, not sure if there have been any bowel changes
Doctor DanB : Has she had any blood pressure problems?
Customer: SShe does have severe eye pain when looking down or left or right
Customer: Usually she has low blood pressure so no i dont think so
Doctor DanB : Has she had flashing lights or seen a curtain or veil come over the vision?
Doctor DanB : How low?
Customer: she dscribes the spot in her vision that is missing like a thumb print, not sure what that means
Doctor DanB : How low Is her blood pressure?
Customer: Not sure how low, just comments that its low
Doctor DanB : Where was she raised?
Customer: We live in Harrisburg, pa. Shes from Reading, pa
Doctor DanB : But is that where she grew up as well?
Customer: Yes
Doctor DanB : I suspect that she may have optic neuritis, which is an inflammation of the optic nerve which can be a precursor of multiple sclerosis.
Customer: Would you advise an MRI, or CT scan or something else
Customer: elseHer left eyelid is drooping a little
Customer: littleShe does have fibromialgia
Doctor DanB : I would actually advise going back to see the ophthalmologist as soon as you can, especially in light of the new vision loss. While this sounds like optic neuritis, because I can't examine you, I can't be sure and it's possible this could be something else, like a retinal detachment, which requires urgent treatment. Does that make sense?
Customer: Yeah, except that the guy we saw today was terrible! Was very mean and rough with her, so i know she wont want to go back. Would u def recommend going back to the same guy she saw today
Doctor DanB : No, in that case absolutely not. But I also wouldn't wait for weeks to see someone else. I would just do your best to see another ophthalmologist as soon as you are able and if you can't see anyone else for more than a week, then I would consider going back to him.
Customer: So u think getting an mri at this point is a waste of time?
Doctor DanB : At this point yes, a waste of time and money. Optic neuritis is largely a clinical diagnosis made by history and exam and an MRI would only be needed if the diagnosis were unclear after another exam.
Customer: What type of tests would detect a retinal detatchment?
Doctor DanB : An exam. It would be quite evident on an exam.
Customer: Ok. Thank you for your insight
Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    
Customer: Well only what if its not that, since we were just there today would it be possible that pushing on the eye would aggrvate to cause this
Customer: She also takes thyroid meds could that be a possibility
Doctor DanB : Certainly pushing on the eye could induce a retinal detachment in the right set of circumstances. Pushing on the eye wouldn't do anything to exacerbate or cause optic neuritis. If it is optic neuritis, the vision loss following the pressure on the eye would be entirely coincidental. Thyroid optic neuropathy is a possibility, though much less likely.
Customer: Ok. I will make sure she gets in to an opthamologist asap......thanks.
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Dr. Dan B.
Ok, my wife went to a retina specialist this afternoon, where her good eye was worse than it had been at the original opthamologist from the previous day, and then he sent us to the ER where they just did an MRI and they said it looked good with no appearance of lesions, or tumors, or blood clots. But now here vision is even worse in what was her good eye.there is no change in her pain in the left eye. The retina specialist said there is no evidence of detached retina. Do you have any other ideas?
Relist: Answer came too late.
At this point she should probably see a neuro-ophthalmologist if there is no explanation of vision loss from the retina specialist and the MRI was totally normal.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.