Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

For about a year Ive had visual problems such as strong

Customer Question
Hi for about a year...
Hi for about a year Ive had visual problems such as strong glowing auras of everything in my sight even if there is no light to cause such. I was on anti psychotics and anti depressants and some benzodiazapines for nearly 7 years and the last year I saw the bad effects it was given me such as restlessness, total insomnia , i was slow and fatigue, lethargic, confused, sweating and these were all just common side effects of one of the medicine , as all of them had the same with even more symptoms to add seperatly. This left me on a mission to get off of them as I thought that is were my eye problems were coming from. (I never had visual problems for all my life except last year) when I stopped taking the medication the problem perstisted and its been three months and its gotten worse. How? well I went to an eye doctor and he checked me out did all sorts of test and said my nerve or what ever is good and there seems to be nothing wrong with my vision(this is my sight of course) as I can still see which doesnt really rule out the auras I am seeing..I hope he did not put that aside considering that I took these meds. I went to the ER three times in 2 weeks complaining about it because it was causing migraines constantly for the last 6 months at the time .. I mean non stop every day pressure in my head and the eye problems..it even hurt my ears...everything I am describing now has been thoroughly explained to a psychiatrist(which I dont ever see any more as all 4 or 5 of them in the years diagnosed me differently) and put me all on different medicines and when I explained this they wouldnt rule out that it was the medicine . (the medicines label says 6-8week treatment ) and knowingly the doctors never were willing to change my meds etc. after years! So now when I as simple as move my eye left or right I have this gash of light like a camera flashing and its like a color, sort of purple and there is a line that looks like a slash of light that goes along with and it hurts real bad and has been for months. and eventually causes migraine that is super bad (besides my head hurting all day) from the sensitive light. The eye doc says is from changes in my brain from the med...I dont know if I should consider that... I mean I think that is a very fundamental way of ruling out everything just because i was on crazy meds. It was like this only since last year and i was on them for 6 and a half years, and now that I am off of them for months the problem remains, and worse..
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/12/2012
Eye Doctor: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Camille-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hi I would appreciate that I did not get a response last night and I do not know how long before I may be able to stay online so pardon me if I cannot reply to the expert. I hope to at least receive an answer and thank you for being so kind!
Eye Doctor: Camille-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds like your primary problem is from ocular migraines.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
Does this make sense to you?
It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hey well the fact is it is a very bad problem for me. I have been suffering the pain and migraine consistantly for about a year. I have been prescribed depakote before and it didnt help me and I did not even want take that wierd medicine that is also used for seizures with bipolar and has many side effects. I been prescribed ibuproben 800 and aswell as toradol and occasionally ive been given percocet at the hospital because of how much i was complaining of my head pain at once. In I V or pill form these things have not cured my migraine and my eyes get dryer and dryer each day a month and a half ago my eyes were not as dry and teh eye doctor said that i have dry spots but that it has to be the brain changes from getting off psychiatric meds. I had this before I got off the meds though which is why I was led to believe the meds caused it. + you cannot take those medicines they destroy your stomach and is used for a week. Iseen eye drops that state if irritation persists more than 3 days see a eye doctor, and everytime i go to the e.r. or other doctors they state it will go away it is probally my anxiety or the meds, or something that they tend to rule out the real problem..so instead i have to suffer this...what should I do? and you think this is definetly it? here is a photo i drew protraying how i see (the spots are flashes of light that hurt, and lines that feel like slashes of light, or auras that move along everythign) including that in the dark

picture i drew:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/Rakbladsvalsen/Untitled-7.jpg

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Male
Person's Age: 21

Already Tried:
everything i stated

I've had a chance to review your drawing on photobucket. I'm sorry to hear of all the difficulties you have been experiencing for the last year.
From your description and drawing I still believe that your primary issue is ocular migraines. Could this be related to the medicines you take? That is possible as many, many things can cause a migraine to start up. It is also possible that your anxiety is making things worse.
I think, if you have not already done so, you should consult with a neurologist and have her do a complete review of your medicines, you past history and the issues that have been going on for so long.
Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD