Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

When a police officer stop a drivrr for driving erratically

Customer Question
and suspect that a person...
When a police officer stop a drivrr for driving erratically and suspect that a person is intoxicated, the officer may ask the driver to close his/her eyes and toach his/her nose. What can you deduce from this test about alcohol;s effect on particular part of the brain? Why
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/10/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What that test does is look for problems with proprioception and coordination that may be due to being intoxicated. By closing your eyes visual clues as to the relationship between your moving finger and your stationary (hopefully :-) nose are removed. In this situation the major way to correct the trajectory of your finger toward your nose is with the system of receptors and nerves that let you know where in space your finger is and how it is moving.

Dr. Rick :

Sober folks can easily perform this task. Intoxicated folks can't.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I like your answer, but need more information I need to study for a human biology test.

Do you know any websites the can read about this topic?

Here are some :
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/finger-to-nose+test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysmetria
http://www.healthcentral.com/multiple-sclerosis/c/73302/56109/exam
http://www.jensendefense.com/hereshow/passfieldsobrietytests.html
This should get you enough information to ace your biology test on this topic.
Now...don' forget:
It's safe for you to press the accept/positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
And good luck on your exam!
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD