Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I recently had severe trauma to my left eye area, ending up

I recently had severe trauma to my left eye area, ending up in surgery to correct the orbital floor. During follow-up, I told the surgeon I was having trouble seeing at night. The contrast between light and dark is much more exaggerated than it used to be. He reccomended I see an opthamologist. What could be wrong?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this issue seem to be limited to your left eye?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

How long ago was this trauma?

Customer:

I was involved in a robbery January 26th and the left side of my face was damaged

Customer:

The facial plastic surgeon fixed added an implant to the left orbital floor, but said the night vision was not a side effect of that type of surgery

Dr. Rick :

It may be that you are forming a cataract secondary to the trauma or that there is some damage to your retina. A complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist will be able to figure out what it going on without too much difficulty.

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. I've repaired orbital floor fractures in the past and they usually do not affect vision at all.

Customer:

ok, thank you