Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What does it mean when your vision stays blurry for about 3

hours in the morning, then...
What does it mean when your vision stays blurry for about 3 hours in the morning, then clears up? Even my readers can make out the newspaper print. I am 54, in good health, and have had my eyes adjusted to monovision via Lasik at 47. Thank you.
5/7/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was there only a single such episode or have you been experiencing many such episodes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Also is the blurring only in one eye or is it in both eyes?

Customer:

This has been going on for more than a year. Random mornings. I used to think it was associated with having a glass of wine or a beer the night before and it's a symptom of dehydration or like a hangover. I should mention that I can barely drink at all any more b/c I get back headaches. So, really, just a 1/2 a glass of wine or one beer a week. Now, it seems I can't even do that. So, last night, no alcohol, just a taco salad and sparkling water and yet this same symptom appears.

Customer:

Vision is most blurry in left eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the left eye corrected for distance or for near ?

Customer:

near

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Such a visual symptom is called transient visual loss and is often due to ischemia ( reduced blood supply).

Customer:

I just reread my original question. I should have said that the readers "can't" read the print.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer:

What causes reduced blood supply? Does mean I don't have enough blood circulating to my brain at night?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So the readers cannot read the print only during the episode of blurring of vision. Rest of the time the readers are able to read the print, right?

Customer:

Is this normal aging?

Customer:

Yes, that's right. The readers normally work for tiny print. They are working now. Just not in the morning.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No , this is not part of normal aging process and is not seen routinely with age.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Due to various underlying causes such as atherosclerosis or emboli, the blood flow through the retinal blood vessels may get compromised leading to a transient blurring of vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are these episodes of blurring present every morning for 3 hours?

Customer:

I do have Raynods. My fingers get cold and white. Does have to do with a circulation problem?

Customer:

The blurry vision is random -- about once every two weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like a problem with the circulation of blood in the retinal vessels.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Raynaud's phenomenon affects the extremities but unheard of in the eye.

Customer:

Okay. Is there anything else you'd like to add or make a recommendation? I have to go now to an appointment. I didn't expect to be able to talk with you right away. Please leave your final thoughts here. Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Better to get investigated by a physician for underlying cerebrovascular or cardiovascular risk factors. You might be asked to undergo a few blood tests along with a carotid doppler study in order to know if the blood circulation is fine or not.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Yes you were a bit quick to press the accept button. But never mind you can still get to view the rest of the answer here anytime. You can even ask follow questions here for no additional cost.

Once you have been thoroughly investigated and it is ensured that there is no problem with the blood flow, then other causes for such brief visual loss for a few hours are to be considered such as ocular migraine. The headache may or may not be very prominent.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist