Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

How Long Does Pink Eye Live On Surfaces?

Customer Question
How long does pinkeye survive...

How long does pinkeye survive on surfaces? HELP

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/6/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Dr. Rick :

Hi. That is an excellent question and it depends on what type of surface you are talking about, the ambient temperature, humidity etc.

It doesn't last as long on wood or porous surfaces as it does on smooth ones.....

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

How long does pinkeye last on surfaces. What do I do, kids toys?

Dr. Rick :

But as a rule of thumb you can expect the virus to remain alive for anywhere from a few minutes to six hours or so. Wiping down the area with a disinfectant such as a mild bleach solution will kill it instantly.

You can just wipe down the kids toys with a disinfectant wipe. Soft, plush toys really don't pass along the virus very well but if you are worried you could spray them with a mild disinfectant or throw them in the wash. Alternatively, you could just keep them out of reach of the child for a few hours and it should be fine.

Does this make sense to you?

I have indoor kids toys. Smooth surface and wood. How long on each please?

Indoor kids toys: wipe down with bleach solution, wash or keep away from child for 8 hours and they should be safe to play with again.

Wood: a minute or two; perhaps up to 30 minutes depending upon surface treatment metal/plastic/smooth surfaces: up to 6 hours under ideal conditions for virus survival.

Indoor toys wood and surface?

As I said, the virus dies very quickly on porous wood surfaces. Living only a few minutes. These type of toys should be safe very quickly....for sure by one hour. If you wipe them down with a damp cloth containing a disinfectant or dilute solution they should be safe immediately.

How long does it last on non pours surfaces and fabric?

On fabric not very long at all. Perhaps 20 minutes. Washing would clear it up right away. Non porous surfaces? Here it can last for 6 hours.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD