Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Seeing flashes of light on the outer edges of eyes when I wake up

Customer Question
JACustomer: I have noticed...

JACustomer:

I have noticed small flashes of light occurring seemingly around the outer edges of both my eyes. This happens almost every morning when I first wake up, and do not seem to occur at other times. This lasts for about 30-60 seconds.

I had cataract surgery about 2 1/2 years ago. Eyes were examined about 2 months ago, and doctor noticed a small amount of "residue" on the lens of my right eye. He said this could be removed by laser, but it is barely affecting my vision. I have noticed a few more "floaters" and have had some difficulty in focusing when reading from time to time. This has only been happening over the past 2-3 weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I am a 68-yr. old male.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/5/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Expert:

Flashing lights can be due to traction on the retina from the vitreous jelly (occupies most of the volume of the back of the eye and is connected to the retina). Some people with new onset flashing in their vision have developed spots in their vision that are new also (or they have been there for a while) and that tend to follow your eye movements, floating behind and then catching up to the same position they occupied before then your symptoms sound consistent with what are called vitreous floaters. These floating spots or "bugs" as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye. But this traction on the retina can happen even in the absence of floaters and can result in an intermittent sparkle, flash or other lighted phenomena. Most often this happens when the eyes are moved quickly, or when you change lighting environments (going from light to dark or dark to light) or reading. This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water. Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can produce these flashes. These flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent. They can also appear as an arcing light. One of the most important things to understand about floaters is that this tractional process can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are:

1. Sudden increase in or new floaters.

2. Flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away.

3. A shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through.

4. A large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes.

For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. People who have had prior eye surgery or trauma, or who have had prior problems with the retina such as retinal thinning, holes, breaks or tears are at the most risk for this happening. Because of that I recommend doing your best to see your ophthalmologist as soon as you are able to have a complete eye exam to determine if there is any problem with the retina. If any of these four signs I described above happens then you need to see one urgently.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.