Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a dear friend that just informed me that her eyes are

yellow,she is very shaky from...
I have a dear friend that just informed me that her eyes are yellow,she is very shaky from the knees down,feet are ice cold with numbness which travelsfrom the knees down. Her hands are also numb. She is a beer drinker (heavy and daily).
5/5/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The yellow color to her eyes may be do to serious liver failure.

Dr. Rick :

Given her other symptoms and history of heavy drinking, I agree with you: She should be evaluated by a doctor sooner rather then later.

Dr. Rick :

Does she seem to be clear in her thoughts or is she a bit confused?

Customer:

This just came on @ 10 pm last night.

Customer:

She's very clear in her thoughts,no confusion or lethargy

Customer:

Is the weakness and numbness some type or neuropathy?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, in that case, there really is no way that you can force her to get the medical treatment it seems that she so desperately needs. If an ambulance came on a 911 call she would be within her rights to refuse to be transported to the hospital.

Dr. Rick :

It is impossible to tell what, exactly, is the cause of her numbness, but given what you have told me the sooner it is treated the better her chances of getting a return of her normal function.

Customer:

I've agreed to take her tomorrow to the hospital. What tests can
I tell her that they may run.

Dr. Rick :

They will do a bunch of blood tests, a complete physical exam and review of her history. If she takes any medicine she should bring the bottles with her to show the nurse.

Dr. Rick :

They may do some xrays but from what you have told me so far, I don't believe that would be necessary. All in all I don't think it would be a very traumatic ER visit at all...

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad to hear that you are going to help your friend get the medical help she so obviously needs :-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does and thank you so very much.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD