Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I WOKE UP WITH A BLOODY EYE

I WOKE UP WITH A BLOODY EYE
5/4/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the bloody eye, is there any watering/pain or reduced vision in that eye?

Customer:

No,mam

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case it is likely to be due to a ruptured tiny blood vessel in the white part of the eye called sub-conjunctival hemorrhage(SCH).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the tiny blood vessels in the conjunctiva ( white part of the eye) get ruptured and bleed. It can occur under various circumstances such as excessive forceful coughing/sneezing, in hypertensive individuals, in those who are on blood thinning medicines such as low dose aspirin, following subtle eye injury or without any apparent reason too. It is self healing and will disappear within a week or two . In case of any other eye symptoms such as sudden reduction of vision , watering, discharge from the eyes , do get an eye check up done. But for a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage there is no need to visit an eye specialist.You can use lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks , for soothening effect( available over the counter).

Customer:

Why?

Customer:

Thank u,mam

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any thing else you want me to answer in this regard?

Customer:

yes,I did had 2 aspirines a night before

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Looks like we got the culprit!! Anyway the bleed will disappear on its own within a week or two.

Customer:

Xtremely conforting than you

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
I am glad to have assisted you. Thank you and best wishes.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist