Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have some twitching behind my left eye. Should I be

Customer Question
I have some twitching behind...
I have some twitching behind my left eye. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/3/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean by behind your eye? Is it a feeling of twitching that you are experiencing or can you see it in the mirror etc?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I look forward to your response so that we can figure out what is going on with this twitching you are experiencing
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I cannot see the twitching but can feel it.
Ok. You are most likely suffering from a condition called myokymia.
Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.
Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.
The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Here is an excellent article on this topic:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you by pressing the accept button or smiley face. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
You pressed the accept button while I was answering your question. You don't have to press it again. :-)
I'm still here if you would like to discuss this more....
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD