Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I see a small patch of lines in my field of vision. It

I see a small patch of lines in my field of vision. It happens if I look to the side or change my focus to something else. I'll see these lines, then they disappear. If I look away again, I'll see them again for a moment.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are experiencing a posterior vitreous detachment

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just working on your question.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

thanks. I was reading. Yes, it does

Customer:

I will get an examination.

Customer:

But these floaters could be seen for long periods of time, correct? I think its been a couple weeks or so that I've been experiencing this

Dr. Rick :

Yes.....I've had them for 30 years :-) Although I tend to ignore them for the most part nowadays

Customer:

ok. thanks again for your help! I appreciate it.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.