Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm having dark spots in my eye every once in a while that

Customer Question
get inthe way of my...
I'm having dark spots in my eye every once in a while that get inthe way of my vision until I blink again. What's up?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you mean to say that you have floaters?

Customer: No when I blink and my eye opens again at times there will be like a blackish blob there until I blink agan
Dr. A.S. Desai :

So it is fixed in your visual field and is visualised in the same spot each time you blink? It does not float all around, right?

Customer: No it doesnt
Dr. A.S. Desai :

It could be due to some tear film abnormality in that case.

Customer: Like due to dry eyes?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Because dark spots can be either fixed or floating. If they float then they are most often due to vitreous changes or retinal problems. If they are fixed and do not clear up with each blink then they are scotomas and are seen in optic nerve problems. But in your case though they are fixed, they clear up with each blink, hence the probability of tear film abnormality.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes as in dry eyes.

Customer: Should I use artificial tears?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, artificial tears are beneficial in case of mild to moderate dry eyes. You can use over the counter, preservative free lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day for a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist