Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

There's been a pain in my eye all morning and day and I was

Customer Question
just now able to take...
There's been a pain in my eye all morning and day and I was just now able to take off my contacts. When the air hit my right eye, it got irritated and started crying. I looked in the mirror and found a little black line above the color part of my eye, where the irritation hurt most. When my contact had moved about it, it hurt also. I touched it (very bad, I know) but it felt a little better. What is this and how should I treat it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
5/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How is the vision in the affected eye with your backup glasses on?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

My vision is fine, but my eye is irritated and can barely keep itself open for too long.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Well, one of the possible things that is going on with your eye is a corneal ulcer. This is common in folks who wear contact lenses and it can be very, very serious. Left untreated it goes from bad to very bad quickly.

Dr. Rick :

You might also only have corneal abrasion from the contact lens -- a scratch on your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, the only way to tell these two apart -- one which can lead to blindness and one that is no big deal and heals on it's own in many cases -- is with a complete eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should have someone take you to the Emergency Room and have this checked out tonight. An exam by an ER doctor is not as good as one by an ophthalmologist (but they may have one on call who can see you in the ER) but it will at least get you started on treatment if necessary.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

You're kinda of young to spend the rest of your life looking at the world with just one good eye :(

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Hello?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess that you have stepped away from your computer. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD