Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mother in law is 88 and her eye suddenly got very dark

Customer Question
red..more than just blood shot...
my mother in law is 88 and her eye suddenly got very dark red..more than just blood shot. it looks like blood is pooled in the bottom part of her eye. she is complaining of some blurred vision in that eye, but she is still able to read. is this a medical emergency?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/21/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Is the blood on the "whites" of the eyes?

Customer:

no, it is over the entire eye

Dr. James :

Does she have any pain?

Customer:

she does but she wont tell me how bad..it doesn't seem severe

Customer:

she says it itches too

Dr. James :

The blood appears to be a subconjunctival hemorrhage which is bleeding on the whites on the eyes. This is not usually serious and should not affect vision. Pain is minimal.

Since you mention the bleeding is quite extensive, it may be best that you have a doctor take a look at it.

Customer:

would a subconjunctival hemorrahage cover the entire eye?

Dr. James :

no, it is limited to the whites of the eyes only.

Customer:

what other possibility is there?

Dr. James :

the more worrisome thing is bleeding around the eye -- retrobulbar hemorrhage.

Customer:

and can it be treated?

Customer:

ca it be treated?

Customer:

*can

Dr. James :

The key is the check that the eye is ok and eye pressure is normal.

Customer:

ok..thank you

Dr. James :

it sounds that she is best to be evaluated in an urgent care if you deem it necessary.

Customer:

thanks

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press accept.

Dr. James :

so i can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James