Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified & Fellowship trained eye surgeon.
60442262

How does it typically take a cateract to grow where you can

How long does it typically take a cateract to grow where you can not see? Last year I had surgery on one eye and he said I had another one started in my right eye but it was not bad enough to remove. Tonight I covered my left eye and my right eye is totally blurred. Thanks for your help.
Dr. Susan : Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes, I am

Dr. Susan : Hello! Cataracts are the most unpredictable diagnosis! It forms and progresses at a different rate in each person. A patient may be diagnosed today with a cataract and not need surgery for another 10 years. Or someone like yourself will progress from not visually significant to completely blurry in one year.
Customer:

shot, once they are removed can they come back? And isn't 56 young for this?

Dr. Susan : You are probably more sensitive because now your operated eye sees so well.
Customer:

I also have dry eyes and that could be causing the blurriness...

Dr. Susan : Yes 56 is young but not unusual. Especially if you have been living in very warm climates, sun exposed. Or if you have had to take steroid for other medical conditions- cataracts can form earlier..
Dr. Susan : Is the blurriest in the eye that has been operated on?
Dr. Susan : Sorry- I meant blurriness
Customer:

no, you are right.. Shoot. I guess I am calling the eye doctor tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Dr. Susan : So the other eye is blurry- the one that has not been operated on?
Thank you for accepting!!! If it is the other eye- no worries... Looks like you are in good hands! Cataract surgery in the other eye will do the trick! If you have dry eyes as well, use artificial tears 3-4 times per day until you see your doctor.