Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The of my right eye has turned blood red and both eyelids

Customer Question
the white of my right...
the white of my right eye has turned blood red and both eyelids are slitely sore
and inflamed. also slite mucous present.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
4/17/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Susan :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am currently online and able to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

Dr. Susan :

Did this occur all of the sudden or over the course of a day or two?

Dr. Susan :

Are you online?

Dr. Susan :

Well without having much history, I am inclined to think that you have one of two things:

Dr. Susan :

1. Viral conjunctivitis- if you have had a cold in the past week or two or someone around you has had "pink eye" you most likely have also developed it. There is no treatment for this, as it just needs to run its course. It usually takes 3-5 days and artificial tears can help with the irritation.

Dr. Susan :

Please keep in mind that you too may be contagious so good hand washing is necessary.

Dr. Susan :

Hello

Dr. Susan :

I just noticed that you joined the chat.

Dr. Susan :

Do you think that you may have pink eye?

Dr. Susan :

or you may have Allergic Conjunctivitis- this can also present this way with the eyes being red and eyelids inflamed. They will also be itchy and tearing.

Dr. Susan :

Really- the symptoms of viral and allergic conjunctivitis are very much similar. They way to be 100% is to see an eye doctor. But you can also try taking an over the counter antihistamine pill like zertec. Also by an allergy drop and use it 2-3 times per day. If you don't improve please see your eye doctor.

Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Ophthalmologist