Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have chronic Uvieitis (sp?) and use Prednisone drops

periodically to control it. I am...
I have chronic Uvieitis (sp?) and use Prednisone drops periodically to control it.
I am under the care of Bascom Palmer Drs, but am on the other side of the world right now. About 5 days ago my right eye experienced some pain and redness. Some short flashes occured one evening. I then developed floaters, a few at first and and they got bigger. in addition there is a fog over the eye that I can see tiny dots in. My vision in this eye is now terrible.
I was under a prescribed Predinsone treatment in my left eye after a visit to the clinic just 12 days ago. At that time my right eye was clear.
I started using prednisone in my right eye when this flare up started. Should I be using it at this time.
I am planning on going to an eye clinic in Kuala Lumpur tom.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/11/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Do you feel my situation is urgent or are the floaters likely to pass?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like, if you now have a flairup of your uveitis, that it is in the back of your right eye (vitreous) and not your anterior chamber.

Customer:

My eye was just examined a couple of weeks ago, and was clear. I have never had this dramatic of episode. Should I be using the prednisone

Dr. Rick :

I would start the steroid eye drops every 2 hours. However if, as I suspect, the majority of your inflammation is in the vitreous, the drops will not adequately treat this flair. You will probably require a steroid injection around (peribulbar) or inside (intraocular) your eye.

Customer:

It has worked to control my uvie for two years, first one eye then the other each a couple of times. I am positive for HNLA b 25?

Dr. Rick :

As a retina specialist I treat these issues all the time.

Dr. Rick :

HLA B27 most likely....

Customer:

Can I wait 5-6 day before I am home or should I seek help in Malaysia, I have an appt with THE specialist in Miami on the 17th

Dr. Rick :

There is also the slight possibility that your symptoms are from a retinal detachment....if you can be examined sooner that would be great.

Dr. Rick :

No. See someone right away....

Dr. Rick :

But, as an aside, you are in excellent hands at Basom Palmer....

Dr. Rick :

Sorry you are so far from home....

Customer:

HLA 27 may be the root cause, OK will find a specialist on this side of the world.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Best of luck. Let me know how things turn out.

Customer:

Yes Bascom Palmer has helped tremendously

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

You kind of confirmed what I suspected, bye

Dr. Rick :

Bye.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
I was just thinking about you and wondering what the local eye docs found. I hope your eye is doing better. Have a safe trip home.
I had a lare u shaped tear in my retina, off to one side, he lasered it. I will be back at Basom's Tuesday.
I am glad to hear that you were able to get treatment for the tear before it progressed to a retinal detachment :-)
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in the future. Say Hi to the folks at Bascom Palmer for me....
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD