Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Noticed I have a red in my eye today, appears like blood

Customer Question
vessel burst but not sure...what...
noticed I have a red in my eye today, appears like blood vessel burst but not sure...what action should I take
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/6/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have experienced a subconjunctival hemorrhage

Customer:

what is that

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer:

what causes this situation and what are remedies

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Here is an excellent article of the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage

This has even happened to me. I just went around town for a week telling everyone who would listen about all the abuse my wife has been giving me.... lol! I, unfortunately, didn't get a lot of folks to believe me -- the bane of small town living, I guess! <;-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

As you can see from the above discussion, there is no treatment to take or even necessary. There isn't even a need to have a physician examine it.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Makes sense...just a bit scary when I lookd in the mirror. Go to gym regularly and this morning did some weight traaining but nothing that I haven'tdone before, could that have caused hemorrage.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that straining with weights may have contributed to it....but these things happen for thousands of reasons. When I see patients in my office I never do any type of workup looking for underlying issues unless, in the rare instance, they have them all the time with other systemic signs and symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

You are safe..... :-)

Customer:

Could it be a sign of a more serious eye or health problem.

Dr. Rick :

In over two decades of practice I may have had one patient who had an underlying systemic issue....and she had a lot of other problems in addition to her subconjunctival bleeding. This really is not a sign of anything serious. I think you can safely plan your 70 birthday party ;-)

Customer:

thank you appreciate your response...

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD