Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Please help. I have a small on my right eye. It's like a

Hi, please help. I have...
Hi, please help. I have a small mark on my right eye. It's like a brown dot.
I went to see the doctor and he told me it's most likely from the sun.
I wasn't very satisfied with my visit. I'm concerned and i would like to know what it is.
It's quite small, and no one can notice it (besides me) at this stage.
I want to know if it's possible to have it removed because i don't want it to grow.
Here are three photos of my condition
The first photo with flash on and an arrow pointing to the spot of concern:
http://i41.tinypic.com/n39clc.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2wei1q9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/qz2nuq.jpg
4/6/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is called ocular melanosis.

Dr. Rick :

I have to step away from my computer for a bit. I'll be back.

Customer:

Hello, i'm online now. Thanks for your reply.

Customer:

So basically, i have a form of cancer in my eyes?

Customer:

Is it Scleral Melanocytosis?

Dr. Rick :

no. It is not a cancer per se

Dr. Rick :

And, from the picture I can't tell if it is on your sclera or your conjunctiva.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it can be considered a pre-cancerous lesion but that doesn't mean it is a cancer.

Dr. Rick :

Now, as to your question about having it removed.....if it is on your conjunctiva, it is a fairly simple think to have it surgically excised. If, however, it is on your sclera (the wall of your eye) it is much harder, and riskier, to have it removed.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing you can do is have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist, have her take measurements with the slit lamp and photo's of the lesion and watch it. Right now I don't think it is necessary to rush and have it taken off.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, that makes sense.

Is this the solution? To cosmetically "whiten" the eye? Please see link http://www.revoptom.com/content/c/27071/ about middle of the page it says "A patient with ocular melanosis before (left) and after undergoing the I-BRITE procedure. "

Customer:

I'm just worried it's a cancer and they will have to remove my eye.

Dr. Rick :

That eye brite guy, Dr. Watchahatchie, is running a gimmick in his surgery for whiter eyes. It is a rather major procedure for whiter eyes......

Customer:

Oh i see. Haha, thanks. I didn't know.

Dr. Rick :

but, yes, if your lesion is on the conjunctiva a less extensive surgery like that could remove it...but not if it is in the scleara.

Customer:

If it is in the Scleara, what will they need to do?

Dr. Rick :

If it is in the sclera the surgery would be very major and should only be done if cancer grows....a rare event with melanosis.

Dr. Rick :

Depends on how deep the pigment goes...but it can be a very complicated and risky surgery.

Customer:

I understand.
Can you see this link? I thnk this is what i may have. Just like the girl: http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0101/p163.html
Do you think?

Dr. Rick :

let me check. brb

Customer:

Thanks Dr.

Dr. Rick :

Hard to tell the your pictures are better then the ones in the question :-)

Dr. Rick :

But very possible.

Dr. Rick :

The take home message? I really don't think you have to worry that you are gonna get a horrible cancer in your eye anytime soon. Go see and ophthalmologist and have her measure the area and take clinical documentation photo's and just watch things.....I really think you are gonna be ok.

Customer:

Okay thank you. So i should be alright for another few years? :)

Dr. Rick :

I think you are gonna see 30 for sure ;)

Dr. Rick :

What time is it in Australia? It's 7 am on Friday here in Wisconsin.....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

It's 10pm Friday in Sydney. Thanks for helping me in the early hours of the morning.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. It's been a pleasure chatting with you

Dr. Rick :

Oops...I had the accept button turned off. If you would be so kind as to mash it again, I would appreciate it :)

Dr. Rick :

Say hi to the Southern Cross for me....

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Haha will do. Thanks Dr. Will definitely come to you again for advice in the future!
My pleasure. Have a good day, mate. ( I just had to type that at least once ;)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD