Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Why do I see a yellow lines in a honeycomb like shape? I see

this constantly and noticed it...
Why do I see a yellow lines in a honeycomb like shape? I see this constantly and noticed it about 6 weeks ago. I went to see my optometrist and he dilated my eyes and could not see anything wrong. He asked if I was on any new medication (vesicare). He suggested that I stop taking that because it is known to have blurry vision to see if it made any difference. I stopped taking that 4 weeks ago and there is still no change.
4/5/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

do these lines move around?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I look forward to your response so that we can continue working on your question and get to the bottom of this honeycomb thing you are seeing.
If you can tell me anything more about this condition, it would be helpful:
- does it interfere with your vision?
-How long has it been going on? Has it changed at all?
- Is it just in one eye (Test each eye alone)?
- do you see flashes of light at all?

I guess it does interfer with my vision. I can see the lines when I am on the computer so there is some distortion. If I look at the white wall across the room I can see the lines there.

I just noticed it about 6 weeks ago. I do not know if it was there before that or not. It could have been. I live in an old house with low lighting and some of the walls are a yellowish color. I just thought it was the low lighting but maybe I have had it for awhile. The only reason I zoned in on it was because I had hurt the calf muscle and was laying on the the couch one morning with my legs proped up just looking at the cealing when I notice the swirles in the plaster seemed to have yellow lines around them. When I looked at my countertop in the kitchen I could see the same lines and when I look in the sink I could agin see the lines. Uh Oh, something is wrong here.

It is both eyes and the pattern is very light.

No I do not see any flashes of light

When you say that it is present in both eyes it is important that you have closed one eye at a time to make sure that it is the same in each eye. Have you done this?
Also, has the image changed in quality, size shape etc since you first noticed it? Would it be correct to say that it never goes away?

Yes, it is both eyes. I have closed each and see the image with both.

I have not notice that the image has changed at all and yes, it never goes away.

Ok. Thanks for answering my never ending questions :-)
Since it is in both eyes it is unlikely to be caused by simple things such as a PVD, refractive change, macular disease etc.
The issue with vision changes from vesicare seem to be related to it's ability to dry out your eyes or induce a form of glaucoma, called angle closure. It doesn't seem to be implicated in retinal toxicity or CNS (brain) problems involving the visual center.
I agree that your issue needs further investigation....and this problem is way beyond the training and ability of an optometrist.
I suggest you start with a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (eye MD). If she doesn't find anything then you next stop might be a retina specialist and/or a neuro-ophthalmologist.
I wish I could come up with a specific diagnosis and treatment option for you but I'm sure you can understand that, given the unusual nature of your problem, with "chat" as my only diagnostic tool this is just not possible. I mean, I'm good, but not that good lol!
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
If you have a chance I would be forever in your debt if you could let me know what the doc's find.....Thanks!

Your answers are pretty much what I have figured out myself on the computer but I appreciate your input. I have an appt with my md next week and I am sure he will be sending me to an ophthalmologist at that time. I will also check into the neuro-opthalmologist you spoke of. That was suggest on one of the other chat websites I found.

I would be glad to get back to you if there is any further results. My family seems to always have problems that are not in the norm. :) How would I further contact you to tell you of any progress on this problem?

Thank you for your time. I will be glad to give you kudo's.

You can contact me at no additional charge at the link that shows up on my post or attach it to this thread.
Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure you will do the family history of having problems outside the norm very proud....
Take care and I look forward to hearing from you again. :-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Any news yet?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD