Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a sty that has finally come to the surface of my eye

Customer Question

I have a sty that has finally come to the surface of my eye lid. Its a pink / white bump of sorts. can i pierce this? what should i do. its been 3 months
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Piercing it will hurt.....a lot. Hard to do safely when you are sticking sharp objects so close to your eye. Also, in order to get all the "gunk" out of the stye it takes more then a needle prick.

Customer:

ok then what should i do?

Dr. Rick :

I would suggest that to make sure all the "gunk" is gotten out, and for your own safety, you should go to an ophthalmologist and have them do it correctly and safely.

Dr. Rick :

It is a very straight forward,effective and safe office procedure that only takes a few moments.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense toyou?

Customer:

i simply dont have time and have a big meeting next week and the cant see me till April 20 th or so

Dr. Rick :

Well, sticking a needle in it is not safe and will not solve the problem. See if you can find another eye doc who will see you sooner.

Dr. Rick :

How will you look at your meeting if you stick the needle in you eye and only have one good one to see your audience with?

Customer:

lol ok will do.... whats with this hot compress . can this eventually cause it to "burst " naturally.

Dr. Rick :

yes, it sure can, but It may not start to drain by next week....but, hey, if the folks at the meeting judge you based only on the bump on your eyelid, do you really want to business with them anyway? :-)

Customer:

unfortunately will live in a pretty superficial time. and this thing is gross looking.

Dr. Rick :

Ya, ain't that the truth?

Customer:

ok thanks doc

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.