Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I HAVE NUMEROUS ISSUES WITH MY EYES FROM DIABETIC RETINOSIS

I HAVE NUMEROUS ISSUES WITH MY EYES FROM DIABETIC RETINOSIS INCLUDING GLAUCOMA (NOW 18-20 WITH IMPLANTED DRAINS AFTER POSTING 25 TO 40), LAZER SURGERIES FOR BLEEDING WHICH HAS VIRTUALLY ELIMINATED MY PERIPHERAL VISION.
MY QUESTION IS WILL CATARACT SURGERY ALLOW IMPROVEMENT IN CLARITY OF MY EYE OR JUST CLEAR UP COLORS WHICH ARE NOW YELLOW IN THAT EYE
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

yes, cataract surgery will improve your vision to the point of where it would be if you had no cataract at all.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, if your retina -- particularly your macula -- is damaged, your final vision will be limited by this issue. Also, if you have significant vision loss from your glaucoma, cataract surgery will do nothing to improve this.

Dr. Rick :

It will also, as you stated, make colors look normal again

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
All things being equal, I would recommend having the cataract removed.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.