Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mother is a 57 year old Caucasian female and lives in

Customer Question
Bulgaria. She's had blurred vision...
My mother is a 57 year old Caucasian female and lives in Bulgaria. She's had blurred vision for the past 2 weeks. She finally went to the eye doctor today. They told her the vitreous body in her right eye has "unglued" (I don't know what's the medical term) and was floating inside her eye, hence the vision problems. They told her the retina will "unglue", too, unless they do a laser procedure where they try to "glue" it back on. They told her it will be very painful. She was supposed to fly on Friday to the US - an 18 hr flight. The doctors told her if she doesn't do the operation first, her retina will get "unglued" because of the high altitude and pressure and she will be blind in her right eye. They told her it's OK to do the laser procedure on Thursday and fly on Friday. Then 10 days later she has to fly another 18 hrs to go back to Bulgaria. I am afraid that all this flying can't be good for her, especially after an eye operation. What's your advice?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/4/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

?

Doctor DanB : So she has not suffered a retinal detachment yet but the doctors are concerned that one is impending?
Customer:

Exactly.

Customer:

Why did they tell her a laser procedure for "gluing" the retina will be very painful? Isn't there some way to numb her eye?

Doctor DanB :

If that is the case, then I do think the laser procedure is a necessary treatment. However, usually, this is not a terribly painful procedure. Typically, the patient may feel a little discomfort, but it is not known as a painful procedure. I'm not quite sure why they would say that.

Customer:

OK, that's re-assuring. Thank you. So can she fly the day after the procedure for 18 hrs? And then make the flight back after 10 days? That wouldn't endanger her eyesight?

Doctor DanB :

They're right. She should be okay to fly after the laser procedure and that shouldn't cause significant problems to her eye or threaten the vision, provided the procedure was successful.

Customer:

When would they know the procedure was successful? We have 48 hrs left to the flight.

Doctor DanB :

Just an exam of the eye should tell them whether it was successful or not.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Customer:

So right after the operation?

Doctor DanB :

Yes.

Customer:

How long is the operation?

Customer:

Should she stay in the hospital for a day after that? Should she be lying down or she can travel right away? The operation will be in a city 100 miles away. Can my father pick her up and drive her home or she has to lie down for 24 hrs?

Doctor DanB :

No, she should be able to drive without problems. She shouldn't need to lie down after the procedure.

Doctor DanB :

Customer:

One second. I'm telling my mother what you just said.

Doctor DanB :

okay

Customer:

OK. She said she has no more questions. I have a question: how long does this procedure take typically?

Doctor DanB :

A matter of minutes, maybe 15-20 minutes on average.

Customer:

OK. That's all. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.