Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a tear in my retina (right eye) about two months ago

and had laser surgery to...
I had a tear in my retina (right eye) about two months ago and had laser surgery to repair it. At that same time they tested my left eye and found lots of lattice degeneration. The retina specialist said that if he did the laster treatment around the eye I would not have to worry about a detached retina for the rest of my life. I asked him about complications later in life and he indicated there would be none. Now I am reading about all kinds of periphereal eye loss, blind spots, blurriness etc from laser treatment, that treatment for lattice is debatable and only necessary in 1% of lattice degeneration. He has already laser treated half of my left eye with laser. I am starting to see the black pepper spots and floaters again in that left eye but I am really confused about what to do ... he has scheduled me for more laser treatment to finish the left eye. Can you advise? surgery
4/3/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

Let me address your concerns. With the history of a traction retinal tear and the presence of lattice, your ophthalmologist is correct in pointing out that the lattice places you at a high risk for future retinal tears as long as the traction is present.

Dr. Rick :

As far as telling you that you will "never have to worry about a detached retina for the rest of your life" I have learned after two decades of being a retinal surgeon that nothing is never.......Will your risk of traction detachment/hole be greatly reduced by prophylactic laser around your areas of lattice. Absolutely.

Dr. Rick :

Are there complications of laser to lattice? Yes, but in experienced hands they are very, very minimal compared to the benefits of the laser treatment....

Dr. Rick :

So. You have turned on your computer and started reading..........There is a lot of stuff on the internet and not all laser to the retina is the same.......

Dr. Rick :

Laser to lattice will NOT cause peripheral vision loss, blind spots or blurriness.

Dr. Rick :

Is there debate about treating lattice? Yes, there is. Do I treat all the lattice I see? Nope.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, if I personally had a retinal tear from traction (PVD etc) and my eye doc found a bunch of lattice that would be expected to have a strong attachment to vitreous strands I would consider having prophylactic laser applied to mine.....there, really, is no right or wrong answer here.

Dr. Rick :

The back pepper spots are most likely not from the laser but rather from your vitreous. This is nothing to worry about at this time.

Dr. Rick :

I think you should just finish up with the lattice laser treatment. The risks are very, very small and it will eliminate a source of worry for a retinal tear in the future. I do not believe that a retina surgeon would steer you wrong on this.

Dr. Rick :

I know we have covered a lot of information here. Does it make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are still offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I see that you have reviewed all of my above posts. Is there anything else you would like to ask me? If not......
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD