Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

The inner corner of the of my eye is blood shot since 2am

Customer Question
The inner corner of the...
The inner corner of the white of my eye is blood shot since 2am last night along with the brown Iris outer edge on pupil side has a white/grey milky curved line on it about a 1/4" long? Eye drops Prp covering eye for 12 hrs did not help. Eye burned at first now it feels sore and not able to use normally ?
I did sleep w a new cream eyeshadow on. I'm 52.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
4/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I don't think your eye cream or shadow had anything to do with it.

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye really bright red in that area or just kinda bloodshot with easy to see red lines?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat.

Customer: You can see the red lines.
Dr. Rick :

Is it a little bit elevated or thicker then the surrounding area?

Dr. Rick :

are you still there? Did you see my question?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you have is called a pinguecula. This is a change in the skin around the eye (conjunctiva) from a lifetime's worth of exposure to sunlight. It is not a cancer. It also can become irritated and red at times.

Here is a link to a picture of a small pinguecula. You can find many other pictures by going to Google images:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG/800px-PRE-OPERATIVE_PINGUECULA.JPG

This is link to a picture of a pterygium. As you can see one of the major differences between a pterygium and a pinguecula is that a pterygium grows across the clear part of your eye (cornea):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg/220px-Pterygium_%28from_Michigan_Uni_site%2C_CC-BY%29.jpg

If you are bothered by your pinguecula it can be surgically removed fairly easily by your ophthalmologist using local anesthesia. One word of caution however.....they have the nasty habit of growing back, sometimes with a vengeance.

Customer: Yes
Dr. Rick :

These things can get red and irritated at times. Using drops for "getting the red out" just makes it worse. The best thing to do is use artificial tears frequently to soothe your eyes and also do baby shampoo lid scrubs.

Dr. Rick :

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Dr. Rick :

Patching your eye won't really help but if you would like to do it the patch won't hurt anything either.

Customer: Using i phone
Dr. Rick :

Ohhh....ya, that can be really slow! I've done that before. I'm not sure how my kids can type so fast with their thumb on those things lol!

Dr. Rick :

And if you don't watch it the phone will completely change the words on you.....

Dr. Rick :

Anyway, does this make sense to you?

Customer: can we text? It will work. What about the white line on my Iris?
Customer: I can text a photo
Dr. Rick :

The iris is the colored part of your eye that dilates and constricts (the pupil is the hole in the center of the iris). This is actually inside your eyeball. It is really immune from any external issues. Are you sure it's your iris you are talking about?

Dr. Rick :

You can attach a picture with the paperclip thing on your screen or you can upload it and send it to me here:

Customer: Used new bottle of Lattise last nigh
Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer: Night too.
Dr. Rick :

That will make your lashes longer....the risk of iris color change is very very small and take lots of time to happen. In almost 20 years of practice I've seen one iris change color. This usually happens in hazel and the iris goes to brown/darker. It doesn't cause a white line.

Dr. Rick :

latisse can make your eye red.

Customer: On iPhone only no
Dr. Rick :

Ok. We can work without the picture or you can hold off and we can pick things up again when you are at a computer....

Customer: PC
Customer: What is white line I have now? No PC here. I can text better can u text?3603201088
Dr. Rick :

No. I don't have access to a texting phone....

Dr. Rick :

The white line may just be a normal variation on your iris. It has nothing to do with your use of latisse or the redness on the outside of your eye.

Customer: So what is wrong? Allergies u saying?
Dr. Rick :

yes, sounds like an inflamed pinquecula. This is usually due to a combination of things such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. The lid scrubs and natural tears should help a lot.

Dr. Rick :

and also, the use of the lastisse can make your pinguecula/eyeball red too. That is the nature of the beast.

Customer: White line and redness showed up at same time. I just told u of Latisse just for u to know. Good to know it's not a problem.
Dr. Rick :

It doesn't seem like the white line is a problem. You may have just noticed it since you were examining you eye so closely. On your next visit to your eye doc ask her about it.....

Customer: white line in my Iris ? It's on side of the redness and just inside the curve of Iris. A curved vertical line.
Dr. Rick :

That white line actually may be arcus.........

Dr. Rick :

This is nothing to worry about. Here is a great article that discusses it:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcus_senilis

Customer: I daily use a 10x mag mirror and line showed up w redness. ?
Dr. Rick :

The redness could have made the line stand out better.......Too bad you can't get to a computer so I could take a look at it and know for sure. But, from what you have been able to tell me I would bet that is what you are seeing.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Or it could be that you are just working on your iphone and it is taking you a little more time....I'll standby ......

Customer: what is Arcus? I read it. My line is from 10 to 7 oclock
Dr. Rick :

It can be anywhere around the eye; 360 degrees or any fraction thereof. It is cholesterol deposits in the tissues of your eye (cornea). It has been proven NOT to be an indication of any type of systemic problem....unless found in young people (my wife tells me that since I now am 52 and get stuff from AARP I don't qualify as young anymore ;-) Once again , nothing to worry about.

Customer: Do u have an email address I can sent the photo to?
Dr. Rick :

Yes. You can email it to me at: ***@******.*** Make a note that it is for DrRick of the eye service and they will get it to me. It might take up to 24 hours or more for me to get it, so be patient

Customer: So line is normal n red is allergies? I should take a Zertec.
Dr. Rick :

The zertec will help. The line is nothing to worry about. Really.

Customer: Ok!
Dr. Rick :

Ok I hope you feel better soon. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I would like to hear what you think once you view my photo of my eye I emailed you. Thank you Dr Rick.
Ok. The engineers fixed it.
The line on your cornea looks like lipid deposit from the long standing inflammation and enlarged conjunctival/scleral blood vessels.
There can be many causes for this but the bot***** *****ne is that it needs to be examined by an ophthalmologist, perhaps even a corneal specialist.
The issues we discusses, such as pinguecula and arcus, do not apply to what you are experiencing....See? A picture, truly, is worth a thousand (iphone) words ;-)
I'm still here if you would like to discuss this further. I am going to try and turn off the accept button.......but don't push it just in case or you will be charged again....and there is no need for that.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD