Dr-Trace
Dr-Trace, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in General Ophthalmology
66045090

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HIGH PRESSURE IN MY EYES AND WAS TOLD I

Hi I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HIGH PRESSURE IN MY EYES AND WAS TOLD I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE LAZER TREAMENT TO MAKE A HOLE IN EACH EYE TO REDUCE THE PRESSURE. THAT WAS A MONTH AGO.
SINCE THEN I HAVE IN ONE EYE LIGHT FLASHING THROUGH THE HOLE WHEN I BLINK.
AFTER A FOLLOW UP VISIT I WAS ADVISED NOTHING COULD BE DONE, AND LOOK UPON IT AS A LEARNING EXPERIANCE I CAN'T DRIVE AT NIGHT ANYMORE AND HAVE TO WEAR SUN GLASSES MOST OF THE TIME.PLEASE ADVISE THANKS JACKIE
Dr-Trace :

Hi Jackie - I'm Dr. Lewis and I would like to answer your question.

Dr-Trace :

By listening to your description, I think you were diagnosed with narrow angle glaucoma and you were treated with laser peripheral iridotomies to open a channel for fluid to flow and reduce pressure in the eye.

Dr-Trace :

Unfortunately, laser peripheral iridotomies (LPI's) can cause light sensitivity afterwards especially in individuals with lighter eyes. It is a small trade-off for the protection of your vision. Narrow angle glaucoma left untreated causes blindness in virtually all individuals.

Dr-Trace :

Here are some tips I recommend. Purchase high quality polarized sunglasses. They will polarize the sunlight and preferentially send the light through one axis away from your iridotomy.

Dr-Trace :

Have the optician put the highest quality anti - glare coating available on your driving glasses. This may help minimize the light scatter at night that keeps you from driving.

Dr-Trace :

Understand that you definitely made the right choice in undergoing the LPI's. Again, this laser surgery saved your vision.

Dr-Trace :

Hi - I see you have just entered the chat. Do you have any other questions for me?