Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 18 year old son had trauma to his eye in a sport

Customer Question
My 18 year old son...
My 18 year old son had blunt trauma to his eye in a sport activity. Someone's hand hit his eye. Have seen an opthamologist three times. It's been almost four weeks since the accident. No retina problems and no corneal abrasions. Blood has cleared and vision almost back to normal. However, the pupil remains dilated (noticeably bigger than other eye). The pupil does respond to light. The shape of the pupil is round. After four weeks, what is the probability that this situation will correct itself? I've read some comments that say it could take up to 2-3 months, but others imply the odds are slim.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What is the name of the red top drop?

Customer:

atropine sulfate 1%, eye atropisol 1% (dose was one drop per day)

Dr. James :

atropine is a long acting dilating drop.

Dr. James :

in some people, the effects can last a long time.

Dr. James :

There is a chance that the pupil may return back to normal.

Dr. James :

at four weeks in light colored eyes, it can still be the residual effects of the steroids.

Dr. James :

sorry, atropine.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

.

Customer:

So, we just continue to be patient and pray? Is there anything he should or should not be doing other than staying relatively inactive?

Dr. James
At this point, it just takes time to allow the effects of the Atropine to dissipate. If there is nothing else wrong with his eye, then he should be able to return back to normal activities, though check with his ophthalmologist first.
He may have damage to the pupillary sphincter muscle (which determines the pupils size/activity). It just takes time to see what is recoverable and what is permanent.
After four weeks has passed since the injury, is it still realistic to expect some improvement? We go for second opinion Tuesday. Any specific things we should ask the opthamologist? Thanks for your thoughts.
Dr. James
Dr. James