Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke up with a swollen eye. What can this be?

Customer Question
I woke up yesterday morning...
I woke up yesterday morning at my right eye was swollen. The top and below my eye is swollen. I don't have any redness, burning, and pain. I started taking benadryl right away and using eye drops. I am 29 years old, what could it be? I don't wear glasses or contacts. I don't seem any visuable bug bits.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/22/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Is there any redness or itching with this swelling?
Customer:

No redness, but there is swelling above my eye and below my eye

Doctor DanB : Any itching? Is the swelling firm or does it feel boggy like there's fluid in it?
Customer:

No itching. The swelling feels puffy, but doesn't feel like theres any fluid

Doctor DanB : Have the Benadryl and cool compressed helped?
Customer:

It seemed to help a little

Customer:

I think it has helped the swelling go down a little

Doctor DanB : Do you get seasonal allergies?
Customer:

I do have allergies. About two years ago I was out in the yard doing yard work and my eye swelled that evening. I took benadryl and I remember is going down and back to normal within 24 hours

Doctor DanB : Is there anything significantly different about this episode swelling compared to that one? Or do they feel similar?
Customer:

My husband said it almost looks like someone hit me in the eye, which didn't happen

Doctor DanB : Does that mean that there appears to be some bruising with this?
Customer:

When I look out of that eye only I can see but it is a little blurry

Customer:

just a tad blurry

Customer:

Does it sound like I should be concerned? Should I wait until day or so and she if it goes away? Should I continue with the eye drops and beneadryl and see if in a day or so its gone? Or do I need to go to a doctor right away?

Doctor DanB : Given your history I think your symptoms may be a sign of one of two possible problems. Number one, this could represent an allergic dermatitis. These are usually boggy swellings that often times itch. Yours does not itch, however your history of seasonal allergies makes this a possibility. The second possibility is that this is an early style which is a blocked oil gland. It can also caused this swelling that you speak of. Does that make sense?
Customer:

If it is an early style which is blocked by oil gland, is this something that will heal on its own?

Doctor DanB :

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But if it is a stye, you will eventually see where a focus of inflammation or a bump within that swelling somewhere near the margin of the eyelid. If that's the case, then the treatment that will help that to go away is hot compresses, 10 minutes at a time, 4x/day, massaging the bump while it's on there. The majority of these go away with this treatment after 2-3 weeks, but occasionally they won't and need a procedure by your ophthalmologist to get it to resolve.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?

Doctor DanB :

If not, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

I have a a stye before and this doesn't seem to be one. However I will try some heat to see if it helps. How long should I wait before I go to the doctor? Could it possibly be anything else? Could it possible be anything that should be a major concern

Doctor DanB :

I would say that if the cool compresses and Benadryl are helping, to continue that. But if you feel they aren't, I would just stop them and wait and see. If it worsens after 48 hrs either on the cool compresses and Benadryl, or off both of those, then I would see your doctor. Yes, there are other more rare things this could be such as a bacterial infection of the skin called cellulitis (redness and swelling would worsen and possibly have fevers) or orbital inflammation (would see a red, painful eye that hurts with eye movement), but these are by far the two most common things I would expect it to be. If the eye is beginning to be red, light-sensitive, and/or irritated, then sometimes this is a spillover of inflammation from the eye to the eyelid, and if that's the case, then it's a good idea to see the eye doctor as there may be a need for prescription medicine for this type of inflammation. Usually, though, (and based on the history you've given me) this type of swelling doesn't end up being a major concern at all. Make sense?

Customer:

The swelling seems to have done down a bit from day one, but I do see a little red in the eye. However, the eye isn't painful and it doesn't hurt with movement.

Doctor DanB :

Okay, well that can be consistent with mild allergies, but the spillover effect can work in reverse. If there's enough inflammation in the eyelids, it can spillover to the eyeball itself. I think the bot***** *****ne that we need to keep in mind is that if the winds of this phenomenon change direction in either way, then it will be necessary to take the appropriate action. In other words, if the swelling in the eyelids becomes more focused into a ball or knot, then it's likely a stye and will respond to the repeated hot compresses we talked about earlier. If the swelling worsens diffusely, becomes red, tender and maybe accompanied by fevers then it could be an evolving skin infection and antibiotics might be necessary. If it continues to improve with the cool compresses and Benadryl, even in the absence of itching, it's most likely allergic and I would recommend continuing with the current treatment. Does all that make sense? Do you have any other questions? Sorry to be obtuse with my diagnoses, but I'm at a disadvantage not being to examine you, for starters, but also it's not uncommon to see a person who is in a clinical gray area, where their signs and symptoms could be any number of things, and the eye has not ultimately "declared" itself.

Customer:

Should I give it a couple more days and see what it does? If allergies and I don't see it getting worse, should I have it a couple more days to clear before going to the doctor? Would it be best to go see an eye doctor rather than my regular doctor?

Customer:

its been 3 days so I am not sure if I am just being impatient

Doctor DanB :

Well, I can understand the desire to want it go away. I don't think you would be impatient if you wanted to go see the eye doctor now. After three days, I would've expected this to break one way or the other, either way. You could make the case that it's getting better and therefore let it ride a couple more days, but the uncertainty of it also is reason enough to see the doctor, if you desire. I think it's entirely up to you. But I wouldn't fault you for going now. As far as which doctor, I wouldn't bother at all with your primary care doctor--I'm an ophthalmologist and (granted I can't see your eye) I have some difficulty determine what this is; I think your regular doctor is not going to be that helpful here. I would go straight to your eye doctor.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions I can help you with?

Doctor DanB :

Customer:

Last question: If I had got something in my eye, it would have irriated it right away right? i am going to an eye doctor monday morning since I can't get in on the weekend.

Doctor DanB :

Usually yes, but sometimes the foreign-body can be something that doesn't immediately bother the eye, but if hangs around long-enough, can start to cause delayed signs of irritation.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.