Eye

I have my daughter six years and eight months, she did not…

Customer Question
hi, i have my daughter six...
hi,
i have my daughter six years and eight months, she did not pass vision test in school, i tooked her to the optemetrist, after tasting her vision
he said she has nearsight with +2.0,+2.25, and he recomended a glassess to be weared all the time unless when she at the computer or when she is reading, after i decided to get a seconed... Read full answer
hi,
he said she has nearsight with +2.0,+2.25, and he recomended a glassess to be weared all the time unless when she at the computer or when she is reading, after i decided to get a seconed openion from the opothology, he said that her vision is 20/20 but she has nearsight vision and he recomended -2.5,-2.5 glasses and she uses just when she needed especially in school.
the opothology said that this is running in our family but not me or my husband or any of our family members has any eye broblom.
i do not now what to do especially my daughter did not complain about any thing in her vision, she can see the board in school she can read properly i did not notice any thing wrong with her.
i whant to know if the glassess will make her eye worst and if she should use them, and if there is any way to stop the nearsight decrease in the future.and what i do with the confilect between the optemterist and opothology
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Ophthalmologists and optometrists use a different convention when writing down eyeglass prescriptions.....however this would not explain the differences you posted in the eyeglass Rx for spherical glasses.

Dr. Rick :

In any event, I would go with the ophthalmologists (MD) recommendation as she is the one with many years more training and, in my opinion, is the trusted source in this case. If you daughter was found to need glasses it is a good idea to get them for her and, as the ophthalmologist said, were then as needed.

Dr. Rick :

Wearing the glasses will not make her vision worse or weaken her eyes in any way. It doesn't work that way....glasses are not a "crutch" that will make the "muscles" weaker if you use them. Also, as fare as her final Rx is concerned, there was some research done looking at how strong glasses a person finally ends up needing in life if they start wearing glasses early like your daughter is doing now and some patients their final lifetime need for glasses was "less"

Dr. Rick :

So what is the take home message? Follow the advice of the ophthalmologist. Wearing glasses will not weaken her eyes. Wearing glasses now really won't affect what strength glasses she may or may not need as an adult in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you are in the chat room. Are you there, and if so, do you have any other questions or comments for me?

Dr. Rick :

I noted that you were typing but nothing came through......don't forget to hit "reply"

Customer:

but if she not complaining why she should use the glasses

Customer:

hellow are you there

Customer:

i can not recieve any thing from you

Dr. Rick :

Because it improves her vision....kids don't know what they should be seeing...they think everyone can't see their friends faces when they are more then 5 feet away. Also, there is a condition called amblyopia where the brain "turns off" the connection to the eye if the vision is blurry, and it can never be regained. In your daughters case, being nearsighted by the same amount in each eye, this is less of a risk but, believe me, she will see better with the glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been able to read all of my posts above? There a quite a number of them?

Customer:

i want to know if her nearsight is tow much for her age and how much will increase until it will satell

Dr. Rick :

If you can not see my posts I can switch over to Q&A format from chat, repost my data and you will be able to see it there. The chat system is a lot faster but sometimes it has "gremlins" living in it that mess things up :-) Let me know......

Customer:

no i am ok now i can see your post

Dr. Rick :

Her nearsightedness is not too much for her age. And there is no way to even guess what her final eyeglass Rx will be when she grows up. That is all in her genetics

Dr. Rick :

ok. Glad you can see my posts.....

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me this morning?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
i have more quistions but the coonection just turn of
I just figured out that the internet crashed on my system for a few moments....I was the one offline, not you...
What else would you like to ask?
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Here is your new post:
hi dr.rick, last time i thought you cut the connection so i were upset,there was a little mistake with the last information that i gave, the optemterist gave me a glassess with -2.00,-2.25 and he said she should wear it all the time except with the laptop and when she is reading.while the opothology gave me glassess with -2.5,-2.5 and he said she should wear it when she needed, frankly i want to go with the optometrist because the degree is less and i noticed the opothology he was to fast with her when he was asking her which glassess is better. but the problem now is she should wear it all the the time is better for her or she should wear them when she needed is better for her eye muscle.
I suggest you go with the advice of the ophthalmologist(MD). He is correct.
Her eye muscles are going to be fine whether or not you constantly battle with your daughter and force her to wear them all the time or you just relax and let her wear the glasses when she needs them.
Eye "muscles" do not become dependent on glasses, become "weak" if you don't use the glasses enough, need stronger glasses next year, less strong glasses later if she wears them all the time, or any of those old wives tales you hear all over the place.
She only need to wear the glasses when she want to have crisp, clear vision.
Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My eyes were O.D. -1.50 -100 X37. The other eye was O.S.
the other eye was O.S. -2.25 -25 X58 I got lasix surgery in 1999 and had 20/30 vision in the right eye and 20/50 in the left eye. I just got cataract surgery which improved my eyesight a great deal 20/25 left eye, 20/20 right eye and can read the computer and read a type written page. I was just wondering how near sighted I was age 12 to age 50 when I got my lasix surgery. How blind was I really. The eye doctor saw me last month. … read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
My 6 year old daughter had an eye infection last week. So I
Hello,My 6 year old daughter had an eye infection last week. So I took to her to see an eye doctor and was surprised to know that she couldn't see the small E when she was asked where was the opening.… read more
Dr.RRK
Dr.RRK
Assistant Professor Neurosurgery,
MBBS, MS(neurosurgery)
I have a question about my 8 yr old daughter. About 7-8
Hi, I have a question about my 8 yr old daughter. About 7-8 months ago, she started complaining that her eyes were tired and it was hard to see the blackboard. We took her to an eye dr who said that s… read more
Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah
Pediatrician,
Stop searching for answers—
For a 10 years old, I think from (OD-2.25, OS/-2.75) to
For a 10 years old, I think from (OD-2.25, OS/-2.75) to (OD/-3.5, OS/-3.75) within a year is a pretty hefty jump. But I don't know why the eye doctor said this is a little change and it's ok to contin… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
My son is 8 and half years old and is near sighted. He was
My son is 8 and half years old and is near sighted. He was diagnosed almost a year ago with a mild perscription but it has already changed. His prescription is now -2.0 in one eye and -1.75 in the oth… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
I have cataracts in both eyes and am scheduled to have
I have cataracts in both eyes and am scheduled to have surgery. I am nearsighted now and I like the close vision. I thought of getting "blended" vision where I would be able to read books, magazines, … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My little one's daycare has mentioned that she is looking
My little one's daycare has mentioned that she is looking closely at things. Could there definitely be an issue with her vision?… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
My daughter is 28 and in the military. This past Saturday,
My daughter is 28 and in the military. This past Saturday, she had her eyes dilated for the first time for a physical. After numerous drops in each eye, she passed out. She was taken to Emergency wher… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
My daughter has experienced central vision loss that has
My daughter has experienced central vision loss that has expanded to more of her eye to her periphery. She says her periphery is fine. At an eye chart (we went GP today) she can read better than 20/20… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
My 12 year old daughter had an eye test 2 days ago and we
my 12 year old daughter had an eye test 2 days ago and we were told she has 'true double vision in her right eye only' she had loads tests done to determine exactly which areas she suffered this with … read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
I would like to ask you a question about my 7 year old
hi i would like to ask you a question about my 7 year old daughter she has never had any medical problems not even a ear infection,(only the ocassional cold) every year at her physcials she always pas… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
My question is regarding natural regeneration. Please see
My question is regarding natural regeneration. Please see details below. In November of 2009 I went to the eye doctor for a routine eye exam and contact lens fitting. The eye doctor was alarmed and sa… read more
Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D.
Stop searching for answers—
My 7yr old has astigmatism in right and left eye w slight
My 7yr old has astigmatism in right and left eye w slight nearsighted should she wear glasses all the time like prescribed? One docs report said she would grow out of it and if she wore glasses it wou… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
My 11 year old daughter just got diagnosed with a mild
My 11 year old daughter just got diagnosed with a mild astigmatism, one eye a little worse than the other. The Doctor recommended glasses for her.She is not nearsighted or far sighted, she sees fine. … read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
My daughter (7 yrs) old has complained of blurry vision in
My daughter (7 yrs) old has complained of blurry vision in one eye this week. We have taken her to a OPSM to have her eys checked and they found nothing wrong with her vision (maybe a little different… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
I went to have my perscription checked and to have an eye
I went to have my perscription checked and to have an eye exam. I commented during the exam that neither of the ,"which one is better 1,2,.3,4,",was clear and i was just picking the best of the two an… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
I am getting very worried, I wonder if you can help. I am
Hi, I am getting very worried, I wonder if you can help. I am almost 55, have been shortsighted ever since secondary school age, and have had glaucoma since I was 40. My vision progressively deteriora… read more
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan
I have a new prescription that does not seem to work as well
I have a new prescription that does not seem to work as well as my old prescription. Old Single Vision OD +2.25 -.75 x 110 OS 2.50 SPH New Progressive OD +1.0 -.75 x 110 OS +.75 SPH ADD +2.25 New (Com… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James