Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I poked my eye with the end of a curling bruch 24 houres

Customer Question
I poked my eye with...
I poked my eye with the blunt end of a curling bruch 24 houres afo...Lot's of pain and redness, and swelling. I have use warm packs, ice, cucumbers...lt eye and nose are running...I thought it would be much better today ,but think it;s onlt 15% better...should I remain patient and let the cornea heal or seek medical help? I am currently unemployed, without insurence.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/15/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a corneal abrasion. Usually these things heal up in 24 hours or so....

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

well i already know that...I'm an RN

Customer:

I was just hjoping you might have a suggestion for a remidy that ai have not thought of..

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The risk of a corneal ulcer is usually pretty low from an injury with a curling brush but, it is nice to have both eyes working.....

Customer:

sorry about the typo's

Dr. Rick :

You could get some lacrilube (or other brand name) ointment and goop up your eye. This would protect your cornea and help it to heal

Customer:

thank you...is that OTC?

Dr. Rick :

No problem....I could still figure out what you meant :)

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it is OTC.

Dr. Rick :

But, as a RN, you understand the dangers of a corneal ulcer and how delay in proper treatment can have devastating, and permanent, effects on your vision.....

Customer:

great...I'll try that...it's feeling alitte better today but The sun in Florida is way too much for me right now..

Dr. Rick :

So, when it is all said and done, delaying evaluation by an ophthalmologist is a decision only you can make

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sounds like a plan.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

If things get worse, or aren't better soon then you really need to seek medical attention....

Customer:

So...I've not work with ulcers so to speak....mostly uot patient cateracts, ect,..... so if it were to ukcerate...I would assume that there would be more drainage ( purulent) ecr.. YES?

Dr. Rick :

No. Not necessarily. purulent drainage from the eye is an end stage event....if it get's that far you will be down to one eye from then on......and an ulcer and epithelial defect usually tear and hurt about the same....

Customer:

ok I'll give it 24 more hours....than go to a clinit....Thank you Dr Rick! :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope it heals up soon ;)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD