Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I cannot see out of one of my eyes and the pupil is dilated

Customer Question
Hi I cannot see out...
Hi I cannot see out of one of my eyes and the pupil is dilated
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you take any medicine or have any medical problems?

Dr. Rick :

If you close your other eye, tell me more about your vision. Can you see anything at all?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I am still here and looking forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
You paid me before I had a chance to hear back from you so that we could work on figuring out your problem.
The good news? I'm still here and looking forward to chatting with you for as long as it takes to get to the root of your symptoms.
Just because you paid me early doesn't mean I go up in a puff of smoke ;)
hi thanks am still struggling with this
Ok. Did you see my questions above?
Hi I have been developing bad night vision and have had type 1 diabetes for 38 years and my right eye has been a weak eye since birth. I do need to had a close angle laser burn to make sure the pressure stays stable but it is more than that. My sight in the mornings is very blurred and I have episoldes where the vision all but goes and I cannot see anything but blurred light in this right eye. I was born with it not being very good and have a much greater lens correction on it to be able to read or do any vision with it.
but the last 8 days I have not been able to see much but a total blur with great pain
In that case I would call your ophthalmologist first thing tomorrow morning and make sure they see you right away. If they won't squeeze you in call another eye MD until you can be seen. Please do not delay.
Hi I have an appointment on Wednesday. But would like to know if you have any similar cases. My right eyes has always been weak and both of them are prone to night blindness but now and then I get a mist (hmmm maybe fog) over my eyes especially my right eye. My right eye this time and a time before was before the fog subjected to a great deal of pain, do you have any idea what it could be? The NHS here in Uk is just treating the pressure but they do not go beyond so was hoping for a little greater insight into these conditions please if possible. Thank you
I am glad that you have an appointment on Wed., that being said your statement that you are experiencing over "the last 8 days I have not been able to see much but a total blur with great pain" makes things an ocular emergency in my mind,even though it has already been delayed for over a week.
Night blindness is not a normal thing and,as a retina specialist, I would hope that it would be thoroughly investigated.
The Fog? It is really hard to know what is the cause of this with out a more narrow description of what is meant by that...or, even better yet, to do an examination myself. If the NHS thinks your fog is caused by pressure they best be a lot more aggressive in treating it then just letting you suffer for over a week while just calmly treating the pressure.
I'm sorry that I can't pin down what is causing you problem...but one thing I can tell you is that, from what you have told me it needs to be evaluated and treated more aggressively then the NHS seems to be doing at this point.
Oops! I turned on the accept button by mistake....don't press it! You've already paid me :o)
I'll try to turn it off.....

I thank you to this point Dr Rick

I am afraid the NHS is a little like McDonalds you can have it with or without fries but nothing that is not on the menu.

I guess my next step is a private consultation as my vision in my right eye is now diminissing but thankfully at the moment my left eye is still relatively clear. What I understand about poor night vision is that it may get worse and there is nothing out there that will help. I do take supplements to help but I guess I have done well these last nearly forty years with type 1 diabetes to still have healthy kidneys nerves and just background diabetic retinopathy. Thanks again Dr Rick. yours Helen Keywood

It depends on what is causing your poor night vision. There are a lot of treatable retina problems that can decrease your night vision....heck, even something relatively easy like a cataract can do it.
I know what you mean about the NHS. I can't believe that Americans think they want this type of system.
Best of luck to you Helen. Let me know if I can be of any further service.
hi the sight is slowly returning in my eye am putting antibiotic drops in and have an appointment in a week or so to see the laser clinic for close angle glucoma. but I think my prob is the cells that change from light to dark getting not responsive. kind regards ***** *****
Thanks for the update. I hope the cause of your issues will be discovered at your upcoming visit and your vision can be restored to normal. In any event, it is a positive sign that you are already noticing that your vision is a bit better.
Let me know what the ophthalmologist finds if you have a chance.

Hi I have an appointment with my consultant with whom I have in the past found very helpful (although have had to do this privately). I am now thinking it is Retinal Ischemia as I have also arterial disease (hardening of the media of the arteries due to inherited Monckenberg's Sclerosis. I will keep you posted if this is ok.

Kind regards

Helen Keywood

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a good plan. I look forward to hearing how things turn out which, of course, you can do at no additional charge. :)

Hi I went to a private eye consultant and he took my eye pressures and the left one was 24 (a little high) and the right one was 43!

I was booked for a precautionary Peripheral iridotomy but it had been put back. The consultant Mr Kumar started me on Dorzolamide/Timolol twice a day in the right eye and Latanoprost in both eyes at night, also Acetazolmide tablets twice a day.

This was on the Wednesday. I then had my Peripheral iridotomy the following Tuesday on my right eye. I was then taken off the tablet but given Fluorometholone drops for the right eye four times a day, This I kept up for four days but they were making me feel real bad. I have now also stopped taking the Dorzolamide/Timolol twice a day in the right eye as Mr Kumar said I should not need it now and it would be useful to come off so when I am assessed next Wednesday things will be more clear. At least I have lost some weight over this although I am not too overweight I have put on a few pounds due to being on the change.

Thanks for asking. Shall I tell you what happens at the assessment?

Helen

Ohhhhh....43 is way too high :(
Just one note about the treatment....taking the oral diamox, on top of the drop that has diamox-like drug in it, has been shown to NOT help in lowering the pressure further.....no big deal, it doesn't hurt to take the two together but the pill sure makes soft drinks taste yucky ;)
I'm glad to hear that you got excellent treatment. And, yes!, I'd very much like hear how you are doing after your next assessment.
Take care and have a good weekend.
By the way, Mr. Kumar probably saved you from going blind in that eye.....give him a hug.

Mr Kumar is amazing of course. He trained the elderly opthamologist who has lazered my eye but this is an over simplification of my eye conditions. I have lost some sight in my right eye. This has happened before and has cleared but not this time. I am just hoping it is a cataract in the making because there is some hope there. As regards ***** ***** guess now I am now 54 and have been type 1 diabetic for nearly forty years there are lots of consultants deserve a hug including you my dear Dr Rick. x

But it is not an instant fix for my poor lazy weak right eye so am going to take great interest in my next assessment.

Helen

I look forward to your next report. :-)

Hi I have had the lazer treatment and my right eye is still recovering hope to have full recovery but not sure.

Thank you for your support.

As long as your optic nerve and nerve fiber layer wasn't damaged much you should be able to recover a lot of the vision you lost.
Thanks for letting me know how things are going....glad to hear that you are on the right track :-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD