Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I live in the pittsburgh area and this is my problem. I have

Hi, I live in the pittsburgh area and this is my problem. I have no health insurance and I actually tried to get blue cross, paid for the policy but they wil not cover a pre-exiting condition. I am 34 yrs old and I have cataracts on both eyes..the dr I had was going to remove them and put a lens in my eye..I was thrilled but no insurance..no operation. Do you know of any dr. that would help me. Thank you
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. Are you looking to have your cataracts removed for no money out of your pocket at all -- 100% charity, or would you be able to pay something or work out some sort of a payment plan on a reduced fee?

Customer:

I could try payments....but I have 3 children and a very low income..my child support is only $80 every two weeks and my total income gross is under 300 a week

Dr. Rick :

Well, one place you could try is talking to the people at Wills Eye Hospital in Phililadelphia. As a teaching institution they may be able to help you by treating you as a teaching case. Here is their website: http://www.willseye.org/

Dr. Rick :

If that is too far to travel you could see if there is a teaching institution near you...

Customer:

Do you have and suggestions in the Pittsburgh area...I really am nervous about teaching institutions..this is my eye site..i'm scared

Dr. Rick :

When I was just starting out in my private practice I removed the cataracts from both eyes of a person such as yourself, getting the hospital to donate the OR time, the Anesthesiologist to donate his time and the lens company to donate the IOLs and disposable surgical items...but that was back in 1995; times have changed in medicine and belts are a lot tighter with decreased payment from all insurance companies, medicare and medicaid to doctors....but, maybe you could find an eye doc who could do what I did so many years ago.

Dr. Rick :

With such low income and the children, I would think you could get medicaid....

Customer:

I will look into medicid, thank you

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck to you.