Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have heard of vision correction that uses a contact lens

I have heard of vision correction that uses a contact lens worn at night but not during the day, to re-shape the corner while the wearer is sleeping. Is this dangerous to wear a lens at night? I have very dry eyes, I am concerned about the cornea not getting enough fluid or oxygen if a lens is worn at night. Are there other non-invasive and non-laser types of vision correction? I have about 20/600 (?) without any correction and I do not have astigmatism. Thank you for any further leads or information on types of treatments I could research for vision correction. I'd love to not have to wear glasses and I didn't adjust well to soft lenses.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That procedure is called orthokeratology. It uses contact lenses that are designed to be worn all night long so, as far as wearing the lenses while you sleep, that is not a huge concern.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a website that promotes this procedure: http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/orthok.htm

Dr. Rick :

There are many patients who are happy with this temporary improvement in their vision. As an ophthalmologist I am concerned about your dry eye issues. Having very dry eyes could put you at a greater risk for a corneal abrasion and possible infection while having the front of your eye temporarily reshaped by the contact lens.

Dr. Rick :

Another type of non-invasive , non-laser vision correction that works very well is.......well.....glasses. lol!

Dr. Rick :

All humor aside, the best way to have be less dependent on glasses nowadays is lasik surgery. Since you have severe dry eyes I would not recommend that you have orthokeratology treatment.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.