Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Monday eyes were dry (left & right) and one eyelid was

Monday eyes were dry (left & right) and one eyelid was twitching. Now (Wednesday) right side , mouth area is sort of numb and when I smile it is crooked. No pain. Eyes seem to be much improved. It seems like I am better. I am 26 years old in excellent shape. I did do weed eating in an area not familiar with, could it be a reaction to weed killer etc? Or could it be a virus? Thanks for your response
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you are suffering from a virus.......

Customer:

why has it affected the mouth area

Dr. Rick :

The eyelid twitching is most likely myokymia.

Dr. Rick :

. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Dr. Rick :

And weed killers are usually not a problem in the amounts used around the house, especially when your exposure is from weedwacking

Dr. Rick :

When you smile, is one side of your mouth completely droopy or is it just a little bit different then the other side?

Customer:

i do drink coffee (caffeine) under some stress, and think I am getting enough sleep.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

different, where others have noticed that i smile crooked

Customer:

never smiled crooked before

Dr. Rick :

In that case perhaps you should visit your primary care physician and have her check it out. As an ophthalmologist this is not something that I deal with on a daily basis

Customer:

can what you have written be sent to email? that way i can print it

Customer:

but you rule out any strange virus?

Dr. Rick :

You can print it here......just right click, hit select all, then copy, then paste into your word processor program. We can not access email here.

Dr. Rick :

It doesn't sound like a virus to me.

Customer:

thank you Dr. Rick I appreciate the input

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and please give me positive feedback for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.

I hope you feel better soon.