Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Why does my righy eye droop? I had bells palsy on left eye…

Customer Question
Why does my righy eye...
Why does my righy eye droop? I had bells palsy on left eye in 2009. Can this be fixed &will insurance covwe it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In Bell's palsy the affected eye has lagophthalmos ( inability to close the eye completely). So this causes the opposite eye to appear ptotic( droopy).

Customer:

What causes this

Customer:

Left eye is fine

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Also it is more like a synkinetic effect ( both eyes receive equal innervation for lid movement) in which the ptotic appearing eye is a kind of overaction to compensate for the lack of closure in the lagophthalmic eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

An eye with Bell's palsy would be the one with lagophthalmos and the opposite eye with compensatory droop.

Customer:

I can completely close left eye this was 2009

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. That episode would have initiated the ptosis in the right eye. Anyway it can be corrected by surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Depending on the degree of ptosis the type of surgery is decided upon.

Customer:

Could cataracts have anything to do with it

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cataracts in both eyes would be a different thing and would need to be operated upon separately ( not at all related to ptosis).

Customer:

What do you suggest?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the right eyelid droop is significant and is coming in the way of your vision then it definitely needs to be operated upon first. it is done by an oculoplastic surgeon( an ophthalmologist with additional qualification for oculoplastic surgery).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the cataracts are in very early stage hten they can be operated upon later. A ptosis which comes in the way of vision is covered under insurance ( not for cosmetic purpose).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any more questions to ask in this regard?