Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How often are fungal infections of the eye diagnosed as al

Customer Question

How often are fungal infections of the eye diagnosed as allergies?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Some types of fungal eye infections are sometimes difficult to diagnose but I've never heard of an ophthalmologist mistaking a fungal keratitis for allergies. I really can't imagine it.

JACUSTOMER-d92re4f0- :

Haven't actually seen an ophthamologist, just GPs as I have no ins

Dr. Rick :

For the best possible treatment for your long standing issue it may be best for you to see a corneal specialist.

Dr. Rick :

GP eh? well that may be part of the problem. I don't do heart attacks and they should not do eyes.

JACUSTOMER-d92re4f0- :

I can respect that. perhaps I should just find a way to suck up the expense and get this taken care of

Dr. Rick :

One appointment with an ophthalmologist would not be much more then a visit to the GP and many eye docs will cut you a deal if money is a serious issue. I know I've done just that on a number of occasions. I agree -- visit an eye MD and see what is going on, especially since your vision seems to be going down a bit. You only have two eyes and it's nice to have the use of them both :)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
The chat system froze up...sorry about that. I'm still here if you would like to continue our discussion.