Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

How often are fungal infections of the eye diagnosed as

Customer Question
allergies?...
How often are fungal infections of the eye diagnosed as allergies?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/5/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Some types of fungal eye infections are sometimes difficult to diagnose but I've never heard of an ophthalmologist mistaking a fungal keratitis for allergies. I really can't imagine it.

Customer:

Haven't actually seen an ophthamologist, just GPs as I have no ins

Dr. Rick :

For the best possible treatment for your long standing issue it may be best for you to see a corneal specialist.

Dr. Rick :

GP eh? well that may be part of the problem. I don't do heart attacks and they should not do eyes.

Customer:

I can respect that. perhaps I should just find a way to suck up the expense and get this taken care of

Dr. Rick :

One appointment with an ophthalmologist would not be much more then a visit to the GP and many eye docs will cut you a deal if money is a serious issue. I know I've done just that on a number of occasions. I agree -- visit an eye MD and see what is going on, especially since your vision seems to be going down a bit. You only have two eyes and it's nice to have the use of them both :)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
The chat system froze up...sorry about that. I'm still here if you would like to continue our discussion.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD