Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a catarract removed from my left eye last May. Before

Customer Question
I had the operation I...
I had a catarract removed from my left eye last May. Before I had the operation I was told that I had a freckle behind that eye, which never troubled me, but I was also told that I had a floater in the same eye, which I did notice when it 1st appeared about 10yrs ago. I was told it was small and after about 2/3 weeks I no longer noticed it and subsequently forgot about it. However since the catarract removal in the left eye I can see the floater moving around. Have been told by my optician that it is the largest floater he has ever seen. It has also caused me to appear to have what I can only describe as a black line down the outer side of the eye, which I've been told by the hospital is the result of the floater.
I am now having the other catarract removed from my right eye on the 19th March. I am extremely worried about something going wrong and causing defective eyesight in my right eye. I have been told by my optician that there is neither a freckle nor floater in the right eye, however I feel I should check with him again before the op. Is there in your opinion anything else that could go wrong with the right eye to cause a serious problem with my sight in the right eye?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand your anxiety in this situated but I don't see any reason why the vision should be poor after the right eye cataract surgery if there are no signs of any freckle or floater.

Customer:

But is there anything else that can happen to the eye either during or after the catarract operation to cause a problem with sight in the right eye? for example POSTERIOR VITREOUS DETACHMENT or anything similar?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am sure that the eye surgeon/ophthalmologist who would be operating on your right would have thoroughly evaluated it and ruled out any possibility of assoicted ocular pathology. Even if there was to be a PVD(posterior vitreous detachment) in the right eye, it would not affect the vision post operatively. At the most it might give rise to a symptom of floaters in the right eye too. So I guess a PVD should come in the way of your right eye surgery or its outcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"should not"

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cataract surgery has excellent results with the advanced technolgy and newer IOL nowadays in good experienced hands. There is very little for something to go wrong unless there is a contributory pathological ocular condition. Most surgeons rule out the presence of these pathological conditions prior to surgery so that the prognosis is good.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

We look for intraocular pressure, patency of lacrimal drainage apparatus, good pupil reaction, vision in the eye, ultrasound of the eye (B-scan) before the eye is considered for surgery. Systemic diseases are also checked for by checking the blood pressure and blood sugars. Once all these tests reveal normal results, the eye is taken for surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So I guess you can proceed with your scheduled cataract surgery with a positive frame of mind. Good luck and best wishes for the same.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you in this regard?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any more questions to ask?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid I will not be able to stay in the chat if there is nothing more to discuss. I will switch over to the Q&A pattern where we can still continue to interact in case you need to discuss anything more.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for your help and advice.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist