How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My right eye has been tearing for about three months now. I

Resolved Question:

My right eye has been tearing for about three months now. I was put on steroid eye drops which did not work. My eye dr probed my eye and when she administered the saline, the saline shot right back out of my eye. My dr said that I have a blocked tear duct and has referred me to plastic eye surgeon. I am just wondering what the normal course of treatment for this is? Is surgery the only way to correct this? If so, is the surgery invasive or a "simple" procedure?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. When an adult has an acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction (as you are being told you have), then the only treatment is with surgery. The surgery for this is called a dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR).

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, the DCR sometimes tends to be like trading one problem for another. It involves making another route of drainage from the corner of the eye to the nasolacrimal duct in the nose by breaking bits of the bone in the nose and placing a glass tube called a Jones tube in that cavity for drainage. So in other words, it's not a simple procedure and can be somewhat invasive--if it is done endoscopically then it is somewhat less invasive. Some people who have this surgery have difficulty with tube sizing, keeping the tube in place, and some have continued symptoms of discharge and tearing even after the surgery. However, to date, it represents the best in surgical options for adults with acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you