Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Every day I wake up with irritated eyes. When I shower, the

Customer Question
warm water feels good on...
every day I wake up with irritated eyes. When I shower, the warm water feels good on my lashes. My eyes water a lot. I'm 72 years old and this problem is fairly recent.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Your complaints and descriptions for what help it sound very consistent with blepharitis. Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids which can lead to irritated and inflamed eyes. Let me elaborate..

Doctor DanB :

The treatment for it is relatively benign, you might consider starting this treatment, while concurrently using artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

Yes , I read about blepharitis and I tried the compresses for a few days but I didn't notice an improvement. I will be more dilligent this time and buy some baby shampoo and eye drops

Doctor DanB :

Yes, I think that's a good idea, but I would recommend giving it a good try for at least 3 weeks because it can take that long of doing it daily before a noticeable, consistent effect is obtained.

Doctor DanB :

Anything else I can help you with?

Doctor DanB :

If not,

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

I know that this sounds like a minor problem but I have suffered with this and i'd like relief. Thank you

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. I can certainly understand as I see this problem in my patients daily and know how much a minor problem can take over your life and make you miserable. But I have much confidence that by doing these things daily you will get much better.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.