Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have suffered with severe Dry Eye Syndrone for 30 years.

Customer Question
Please help me witha solution...
I have suffered with severe Dry Eye Syndrone for 30 years. Please help me witha solution that will give me some releif.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Can you please tell me what you have done for your dry eye? Artificial tears? If so, for how many years? Daily? How many times/day? Do you or have you used Restasis for dry eye? Do you do warm compresses and eyelid scrubs? Have you had any surgeries to the eyes?

Customer:

Yes to all the questions. I tried Restasis for dry eyes but my eyes are so inflamed I could not stand the pain it produced. I have used every artificial tears on the market for several years but they do not help that much. I had cataract surgery on Feb. 16, 2011. I was assured that the surgery would not change the condition of the dry eys but the condition has deterarated considerable since then. My vision is worse now than it was before the surgery.

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry to hear about what you've gone through. I would hope that assurances like that would not be given out, because any eye surgery can absolutely make dry eye worse. When you used the Restasis did you use it in conjunction with a steroid drop for any period of time? Did you keep it in the refrigerator? Have you used any lubricating eye ointments as well?

Customer:

I have used neumours perscription drops over the years, especially since the surgery. Namely Falcon products such as neomycin and polymyxin B, Sulfates and dexamethsone, predisolone acetate suspension, Pred Forte, Bausch & Lomb's Lotemax, to name a few. Refresh, systane, blink and more of the OTC drops. I hope this helps you to give your opinion,

Doctor DanB :

Are the margins of your eyelids red, possibly itchy and maybe associated with caking or mattering on the eyelashes when you wake in the morning? Are your eyelids tender, possibly somewhat swollen, and maybe accompanied by stinging or watering? Do you get repeated styes? Do your eyes burn, feel gritty, and do you have intermittent blurring of your vision when you do vision-intensive tasks such as reading or computer work?

Customer:

One other thing, my husband was an Optometrist before he passed away and his brother was an opthalmologist who retired several years ago. Together they were able to keep this problem under condtrol but since then I have not found a doctor who seems to know how to treat it. Thank you, *****

Customer:

I have not received an

Customer:

Yes to all the above except the styes. I have never had a stye.

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your husband. Rose, one of the most common reasons for dry eye, especially that goes untreated is blepharitis. I would suggest starting treatment for it because it is such a common cause for dry eye and it sounds like you've done so much of everything else without relief. Please click on this link for an article I've written about blepharitis which can tell you all about it and how to treat it. http://www.oregoneyedoctor.net/2012/02/08/blepharitis-an-unrecognized-source-of-eye-problems/

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Doctor DanB :

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.