Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Back in August of 2011, I began to notice the following with

Customer Question
my left eye: Whenever I move...
Back in August of 2011, I began to notice the following with my left eye:
Whenever I move my eyes rapidly either from side to side but most noticeably up and down; I would see semi-circle (shadowing) lines form first below and then later above my direct line of vision. This is most prevalent when I am in contrasting light situations and when I look into plain or uniform surface. The retina doctor did find a "cotton wool spot" in my left eye that did disappear after three months. The lines I speak to are still there and may be getting worse. Not sure since there is a tendency just to get use to what you are seeing and not. I have had a FP preformed twice...once with OCT. In short, the doctor cannot determine what is creating my situation. Any thoughts or other doctors or specialist I should go to? Or, do I need more time for the situation to clear up? Thanks, Gary
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
3/2/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. By FP being performed are you referring to an FA, possibly, which is a fluorescein angiogram?

Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB :

Was the doctor you saw a general ophthalmologist?

Customer:

He was a retina specialist (MD) referred by a ophthalmologist.

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry; I just saw that you saw a retina specialist, I missed that before. Did the retina specialist say he/she saw any floaters in your eye?

Doctor DanB :

Have you had cataract surgery?

Customer:

Yes. My left eye has considerable more than my right.

Doctor DanB :

From what you're telling me these sound consistent with vitreous floaters. Did the retina specialist not think that what you were complaining of was from the vitreous floaters?

Customer:

No to cataract. But, my OD stated that I was getting close ( in about 4 -6 years) for lens replacement. He speculated that it could be my floater bunching up and creating this situation. But, he was just speculating.

Doctor DanB :

From what you're telling me, this sounds like a floater causing this as they characteristically get more noticeable when looking at high-contrast backgrounds and when they get "stirred up" by moving the eyes rapidly.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

It's weird. I have had floaters all of my life moving in and out of field of vision. My problem is that now these lines are regular of design as oppose to wiggles of floaters...As if something is putting pressure or releaseing pressure from my retina. Just speculaing

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

Doctor DanB :

You may be seeing the effects of the vitreous gel pulling and tugging on the retina, which would produce more of a regular design, but also floaters can be all different types or sizes. I'm sorry I have to step away from my desk for a few minutes, but I promise I will be back to finish our conversation. Sorry.

Customer:

After some consideration, that is my "feel" for it. If I look straight ahead, my vision is clear...expect for the wiggle of the foaters...but when I do rapid eye movements it seem to bring this out...and only when I do those movements. If this is the case...a big if...can anything be done proactively? Or, do I just wait for failure as I stated as much to my doctor. Not a good option. But, maybe the only.

Customer:

Sorry, another point or question. Is there any test specfic to the vitreous gel to determine the situation? Thanks,

Customer:

Are you still there?

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, there isn't any specific test that will tell you whether what you're seeing is the vitreous floater or the effects of the floater on the retina. But the most important thing you want to know is if the retina is having any traction, any holes, tears, or breaks in it, and thankfully that is something the retina specialist can ascertain on an exam; I would assume that he/she didn't find any of that on the exam. That is the most worrisome problem that can result from that, so if there isn't any sign of that on exam, you're probably in a good place. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Customer:

Yes. I think it was his approach to the situation. Although, I feel like I am an Outlier is this situation because every time I attempt to explain it I get a puzzled look. Thanks,

Doctor DanB :

I can understand what you mean, it's a difficult thing to explain, and it's difficult for some doctors to think outside of the box. You're welcome. Any other questions?

Customer: No. Thanks You!
Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck to you.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

Thanks Doctor. You did a good job in addressing my questions. Have a nice weekend. Gary

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck and a great weekend to you as well.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.