How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A year and a half ago i suffered from a torn retina, i was

Resolved Question:

a year and a half ago i suffered from a torn retina, i was operated on at tme Ma Eye and Ear. to date my vision in that eye has come back rather well, but my eye is not focusing with my other eye.
Any suggestions
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Ate you able to chat?
Doctor DanB : Are you wearing prescription glasses now?

yes just had new glasses made

Doctor DanB : And this sensation you're having is while you're wearing the new glasses?

hello Dr Dan B


yes, my vision is great but my right eye is crossing vision with my left eye

Doctor DanB : Did you have a scleral buckle placed during the operation to repair the torn retina?


Doctor DanB : I suspect that might have been the case. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : When a scleral buckle is placed on the eye it changes the shape of the eye and therefore it changes the refractive error of the eyes significantly. It can cause an increase in near sightedness and astigmatism. The reason why this is important is because there may be a significant difference in the refractive error between the two eyes now because of this. The brain can only tolerate so much of a difference in the refractive error between the two eyes before it becomes uncomfortable and produces symptoms like you are having. Does that make sense?

yes, but how do i correct this problem

Doctor DanB : The only immediate way to correct this problem is to wear contact lenses instead of glasses. Since you would need to get the prescription for contacts from your eye doctor you can have him/her investigate for this possibility.

will contact my doctor, thanks for the tip

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Please help me get credit for my expertise and the time spent in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you