Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I recently got my eyes checked and got glasses but forgot to

Customer Question

I recently got my eyes checked and got glasses but forgot to ask for my perscription. My contacts were -5.00 for my right and -6.50 for my left. I asked the eye doctor and he said my left eye changed my .25. I like to order my contacts online so can i renew my left contacts for -6.75 would that be okay?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did the eye doctor say that the 0.25 change was for the glasses?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A 0.25 dioptre change in the prescription for glasses would not change the power of the contact lens at all. In that case the old lens power of -6.50D should be fine. The contact lenses are always 0.5 dioptre less than the glasses as the lenses are in close contact with the cornea and thus the power would be less than the glasses. If the vision in the left eye with the old contact lens of -6.50 gave you good vision ( 20/20) then there is no need to change it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have stepped away from your computer for the moment. I shall switch over to the Q&A mode so that you would be able to view the answer once you are back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you in this regard.

Dr. A.S. Desai :