Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Today at work, my eye started tearing and I have yellowish

Customer Question
discharge from the eye that...
Today at work, my eye started tearing and I have yellowish discharge from the eye that becomes crusty. I have appt tomorrow with my doctor. What can I do to relieve my eye tonight. Is this bacterial infection?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/21/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do you think you could have gotten anything in your eye at work etc?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell if it is a bacterial infection as "yellow stuff" ( a medical term :) can come out of your eye for many reasons. I'm glad you are going to your ophthalmologist tomorrow am but for now you can use artificial tears (there are many brand names available, buy the least expensive one) and cold compresses. You might also want to goop up your eye right before going to sleep with a soothing ointment such as lacrilube or refresh PM (once again, many brand names...)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

None of these treatments will make it worse and they should make you feel better until you can get evaluated tomorrow.

Customer:

I have Thera Tears, but if the eye is really watery, why use a lubricant?

Dr. Rick :

Because your eye is watering due to irritation. The lubricant will soothe your eye, making it less irritated. The "watery"part you are now experiencing is the "emergency flush" system your eye uses when something gets in it or it is hurting...and this only makes the eye feel worse.....it doesn't make sense when you just look at the surface of it but it's true :)

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not think you are experiencing an eye emergency right now so our goal at this point is to make you feel better until tomorrow.....

Customer:

So is Thera Tears OK to use. For the cold compress, how long do I do it for?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, the thera tears will work just fine. I would use the compresses for 15 min on/ 30 off.....but those numbers are not a hard and fast rule. Use your judgement on how it feels.

Customer:

If there is a lot of crust on the eye in AM, do I still use cold compress to open eye?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, and a clean wet washcloth....temp of the washcloth up to your personal preference.

Customer:

OK, I understand

Dr. Rick :

I hope you feel better soon. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD