Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a question regarding something strange that is going

hello: i have a question regarding something strange that is going on with my vision.
i've noticed that at night when i'm walking there will be a "trail" of sorts when i move my head from looking in the general direction of a light. it's not that i'm staring directly at a extremely bright light and then move, as with the case when you might look directly at the sun, but i will happen quite a bit with just about a lot of lights.
i'm really very concerned. i know that your information cannot replace a proper consult but i wanted to delve into some of the different general health conditions that might be the root cause. thanks
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does this occur with both eyes or is it just one eye? Have you noticed any other problems with your eyes like flashes of light or floaters? Does your vision seem to be affected in any other way?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline..... I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

I look forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i get the impression that its happening with both eyes. but i havn't really tried to isolate the issue.

i do sometimes get those little squigly bright spots if i were to maybe bend over in a way that is kind of not normal. kind of tough to explain but it seems that that happens if i were to be short of breath or exert myself a bit.

maybe i could say that i think i might be sensitive to bright sunlight as well. not all the time and to an extreme, but maybe a little.

and maybe there might be a little cloudyness when looking at a computer screen sometimes.
It sounds like you have an anterior segment/tear film issue going on. This can cause all sorts of transient visual functions and may be at the root of your problem. Many times there are a couple of things acting together, such as allergies, dry eyes and blepharitis and in order to get thing better you need to address all three of them at once.
When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.
Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.
The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.
Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Are there any other concerns or issues you would like addressed on this topic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good information to start with. Thanks a bunch
My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.