Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 53 female with a newly diagnosed posterior vitrious

Customer Question
detachment. i am told there...
i am 53 female with a newly diagnosed posterior vitrious detachment. i am told there is nothing i can do for this, i am taking ketprofen for arthritis for the past 3 months and adderall 10 mg qd to bid for the past 15 years. could either of these 2 meds be a cause.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
2/18/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. Neither of those medicines have anything to do with your PVD.

Dr. Rick :

Let me give you some information on a PVD....although you might already know this :)

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

it just happened over night, is this usual?

Dr. Rick :

Now, as to your question...what to do about it....

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. A PVD can happen in a matter of minutes -- one second you are fine, the next you got "bugs" and flashing lights all over the place.

Dr. Rick :

I've had a PVD in my left eye since I was in my mid 20's and I almost never even notice my floaters anymore.

Customer:

this is the same info my opthamolgist gave me, thanks. first time i have EVER done an on line md. question, obviously i was a little freaked. it is the blurred vision that frustrates me more than the floater.

Dr. Rick :

Usually a PVD does not cause blurry vision.....I'd have your ophthalmologist have a look at you to see if she can find the cause of that.

Customer:

i have one big floater in my left eye and smaller ones in right and a combination , glaucoma was ruled out. thanks i will call her again.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina sub-specialist I deal with the rare complications of a PVD all the time

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss pertaining to this issue.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD